Ancestry Search

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancestry Search

Have just rejoined after a number of months. I am having trouble remembering how to limit the searches. It was via a sort of drop down menu listing all the individual UK databases, you then selected the ones you wanted eg I could screen out Scottish, Irish and lots of others.

Probably down to the increasing frequency of senior moments but please help!

Thanks.

trouble is now it keeps reverting to the new search which I hate , not sure how you do what you want ?

Comment

I probably did not explain myself properly. It's to do with the hundreds of databases on the site. You can see them in the Card Catalogue. There was a facility to trawl through and set up a permanent search parameter by selecting the ones, in addition to the usual suspects, you wanted included eg Yorkshire or Warwickshire Parish records thereby excluding irrelevant ones. It took a bit of time setting up but it helped to cut down the long useless lists you now get.

Comment

Doh!!! Sorry the penny has just dropped. It is on the Family Tree Maker/Ancestry search facility! When you get the search results up for an individual click on "Database" on the top line then "All Collections" and you get a drop down box showing a list of headings. Click on "customise" which will show an alphabetical list of the Ancestry databases, pick the entries you like and it will form part of a permanently customised search. I think I have explained it properly but it is a bit late so sorry for any confusion.
        Last edited by modem; 29-09-10, 00:37.

Comment

If I'm not sure about someone I just do a general search to see what turns up.
          Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

You might get quite a lot of results if you were looking for John Smith, UJ!!!!

Anne

Comment

ah Modem I have those in my permanent links.

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
                You might get quite a lot of results if you were looking for John Smith, UJ!!!!
                I'm fortunate to have very few Smiths and lots of folk with less common names in my tree. And I don't drink beer.
                Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
                X