Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ARTISS in Canada

Hi

Can anyone help with any sightings of Frank Lesley Artiss and his wife Annie in Canada
    In May 1910 she arrives in Quebec May 1910 to join her husband and they both return from Montreal in 1935 to Kidderminster where they die in 1946 and 1954.

Frank born 1871 Birmingham Annie born 1875

Mike
    Mike in Droitwich

My family tree is on
    http://mjfisher.tribalpages.com

There is a listing for a Frank L Artiss in Henderson's Winnipeg directory, 1922. His address is listed as 206 Parkhill Street, Kirkfield Park, Winnipeg.
    Hendersons are like phone books, but without the phone numbers!

Update:
    I think that may not be your Frank though as I've just found an article in the Winnipeg Free press dated 25 June 1937 which refers to a Mrs Frank Artiss, President of the Womens auxillary of the Sturgeon Creek community club. Your Frank and his wife were back in England by that date weren't they?
    Last edited by LangleyValeSue; 28-09-10, 20:57.
    My avatar is my Great Grandmother Emma Gumbert

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

there is a Frank Lesley Artiss wife Annie and a Frank Dunlop Artiss (1903 died 1974 in Ganges BC)and Wife Jean who has a son Laurie Artiss the well known Canadian pin manufacturer.

So one could fit one entry and one fit the other ?

If you can find a birth for Laurie Artiss, Mae Artiss & Frank 20s or 30s ?
      Last edited by Mike Fisher; 28-09-10, 21:14.
      Mike in Droitwich

My family tree is on

Comment

Frank & Annie Artiss landed in Liverpool on 27 May 1939 from Montreal on the S.S Duchess of York so that may well have been them in my previous post. In both the Passenger List and Hendersons Directory Frank's occupation is 'engraver'. Their proposed address in the UK was 130 Crestfield (?) Road, Kidderminster.
        Last edited by LangleyValeSue; 28-09-10, 21:11.

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

Yes I found that journey from Ancestry.co.uk I wandered if there was more in Ancestry.com or Findmypast
          Mike in Droitwich

My family tree is on

Comment

When Annie sailed to Canada in May 1910 the passenger list shows her destination as Winnipeg.

I found that on Ancestry.com.

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

I've found another passenger record for just Annie from Liverpool, England to St John, New Brunswick, Canada on 6 January 1920 aboard the Metagama. She states that she had previously resided in Quebec for 10 years from 18/05/09 and that her destination was Kirkfield Park P.O. Winnipeg.
              Last edited by LangleyValeSue; 28-09-10, 21:29.

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

In the 1916 census of Manitoba there is a Leslie and Anny Artiss listed in Victoria Township, Assinboia. He is an engraver, so probably his first name had been omitted and it is the same Frank & Annie.
                Looking again at the census document, it seems the enumerator listed the surname as Leslie and their first names as Artiss and Anny!
                Last edited by LangleyValeSue; 28-09-10, 21:45.

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Fisher View Post
                  there is a Frank Lesley Artiss wife Annie and a Frank Dunlop Artiss (1903 died 1974 in Ganges BC)and Wife Jean who has a son Laurie Artiss the well known Canadian pin manufacturer.

So one could fit one entry and one fit the other ?

If you can find a birth for Laurie Artiss, Mae Artiss & Frank 20s or 30s ?
                  If it would be of help, I can check out the death details of Frank Artiss who died in BC.
                  Jenny

Comment

Thank you for your most helpful replies and yes please to the death details of Frank in BC

Mike
                    Mike in Droitwich

My family tree is on

Comment

No problem, I'm away this weekend but can look up the following weekend, if that's OK.
                      Jenny

Comment

Originally posted by LangleyValeSue View Post
                        I've found another passenger record for just Annie from Liverpool, England to St John, New Brunswick, Canada on 6 January 1920 aboard the Metagama. She states that she had previously resided in Quebec for 10 years from 18/05/09 and that her destination was Kirkfield Park P.O. Winnipeg.
                        Just to complete the info for this trip "home" for Annie - she arrived in Liverpool - 9th October 1919 - on the MELITA - from Montreal - giving her intended address as 29 Cobden Street, Kidderminster

Cheers
                        Sue

Comment

Hi Mike

In relation to the address that Mrs Artiss gives as her destination address in 1919 I hae sent you a Pm as it refers to the 1911 census which we all know I can't post on here.
                          WendyP

Comment

If this link works it should give details asto who Frank Dunlop Aritss's parents are or were should I say

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.
                            WendyP

Comment

Working...
                            X