French accent acute

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• French accent acute

Please can someone tell me how to get this over a letter.

The name is Compigne - and I want the accent acute over the i... :p

What program are you trying to write it in? And what type of keyboard are you using?
    In Word, with a QWERTY keyboard, the shortcut for and acute accent (accent aigu) is Ctrl + apostrophe, followed by the letter, and the shortcut for accent grave is Ctrl + back quote (the key to the left of the 1), followed by the letter.
    You can also use the menus in Word: Insert > Symbol, and then choose the accented letter you want.

And another option is to use Alt plus the appropriate key code. See: http://tlt.its.psu.edu/suggestions/i...s/codealt.html

There are some differences between UK and US keyboards by the way.
    See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British...ican_keyboards
    and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QWERTY#UK-Extended_Layout
    Last edited by Cloggie; 28-09-10, 12:59.
    Sarah

Comment

Thanks Sarah - I'm using Word 2010 and have got a HP laptop with a QWERTY keyboard... I'll have a look at those links

Comment

Alt key + 161 = í
        Elaine

Comment

Sorry Elaine, but that's not working for me

Comment

It works for me with the numeric keypad (but not with the number keys on the standard keyboard).
            Sarah

Comment

Are you using the number keys on the number pad - rather than the number keys across the top of the keyboard?
              Elaine

Comment

Snap!
                Elaine

Comment

Aha!! Yes it works now... thank you :D

Comment

I find the easiest way is to hold down the Alt Gr key (to the right of the space bar,) then press the required letter, e.g. Alt Gr+a = á
                    Researching Nickless & Evans, Shropshire & Montgomeryshire. Also Ord and Coulson, Co. Durham

Comment

Even better, thank you

Comment

For future reference, on Word you can also click on the INSERT tab at the top. Then on the far right you will see SYMBOL.
                        Click on that and it will bring up all the symbols you can choose from and you can select which one you want.
                        Elizabeth
                        Research Interests:
                        England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
                        Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Wow, Elizabeth I never knew that! Thanks!
                          I was struggling yesterday trying to type a load of text in Spanish and German and hunting for all sorts of accents! If only I had known! :o
                          Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elizabeth - I've only just bought Office 2010 and still finding my way around

Comment

My daughter introduced me to this site. I use it for all foreign scripts and then cut and paste. http://french.typeit.org/
                              Anne

Comment

Thank you Anne

Comment

Working...
                                X