Storing your records and photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Storing your records and photos

I have decided it's time to scan everything I have so I have a digital record of it. Do any of you do the same? I am going to put it in to FTM and then load my gedcom to Genes and Ancestry. I think it'll be nice to have it all in one place. My parents are keen to see all my work so I can now show it to them, hopefully without bringing up my box of stuff.
    What do you all do?
    :o

Having a backup of everything is important but bear in mind that when you create a GEDCOM file for uploading to an online site of for e-mail to relatives images won't transfer as GED files can only handle text. If they use FTM you can use the other filetypes and include all your scans but the filesizes can soon start to become pretty large.

Having said that i scan all my documents and save the images electronically onto memory stick and disc, i also have a memory stick that does the rounds of relatives throughout the world and they add their images and certs etc and post it back to me. I then transfer everything onto my master stick and create a back up copy. Mine usually does the trip down to Lincolnshire three or four times a year and comes back with dozens of photographs i haven't seen before.

I also have several discs as additional backups, these are specific to specific surnames and are easy to carry around as and when i visit family, having a disc with just say two or three surnames makes it easier to navigate when hunting down specific records and someone is looking over my shoulder!!!!!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Thanks Glen. I like the idea of a memory stick. Which part of Lincolnshire do you visit, out of interest? Most of my paternal family comes from there.

Comment

Which version of Family Tree Maker do you use.
        If you are using FTM 2010 or later then you can upload your tree to Ancestry, including images.
        However, as Glen says, uploading a GEDCOM to sites such as Genes Reunited only data will be transferred - no images.
        Elaine

Comment

We have FTM 2005 at home. My husband uses Family Historian, but I am not so keen on that.

Comment

In that case, when you export a file from FTM2005 to Ancestry it will be data only.
            Elaine

Comment

When scanning images, remember to keep the scans outside of FTM, as once into the program you won't be able to get them out again, (especially on 2005)

Scan them larger than you think you need at least 600dpi for small images. See http://www.scantips.com/ for some excellent advice on getting the best from your images. I would also recommend using a tool to embed the titles and names of people directly into the file using IPTC tags (this is the same as writting the names on the back) in that the labels do not get separated from the images, if you move them about.
              Jane
              Family Historian User Group : My Family History : My Photography
              "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."

Comment

Originally posted by jtaubman View Post
                I would also recommend using a tool to embed the titles and names of people directly into the file using IPTC tags (this is the same as writting the names on the back) in that the labels do not get separated from the images, if you move them about.
                Excellent tip, thanks! I've not heard of that before.

Comment

I'm really interested in this labelling problem. I started a thread on Family Tree Photos so as not to hijack this thread.

Anne

Comment

Originally posted by Lincslass View Post
                    Thanks Glen. I like the idea of a memory stick. Which part of Lincolnshire do you visit, out of interest? Most of my paternal family comes from there.
                    Most of the county relates to my family lines, Lincoln, Wragby, Grantham, Sleaford etc.

The GEDCOM database here on FTF can be searched by name, place and county (either individually or by combining any of the search criteria). It's amazing how often you find names from a tree of another member that relate to the area/time of your own relatives.

Re the ged files, bear in mind that any online trees will need to be updated on a regular basis, they become outdated as soon as you add some new details to your master file on your software programme.
                    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
                    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
                    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

I have found a web site that will allow you to set up and share family photos and video. It is free. I think the premise is allowing people to share video and photos for current and future generations. www.tymecapsule.com

Comment

Working...
                      X