Laptop battery life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laptop battery life

Just wondered if any one knows if a laptop battery would be covered under a normal warranty? I've had this Dell laptop for 16 weeks and it says it needs to be replaced! there is no charge held at all! Any ideas?
    Sue x

Looking for Hanmores in Kent, Blakers in Essex and Kent, Pickards in East London and Raisons in Somerset.

You may find the link below helpful.

I would have thought 16 weeks should come under warranty.

Can you email them to find out?

Christine
    Christine in Portugal

Comment

Funny you should mention this - my HP laptop battery died last week after 8 months. It would have been covered under the warranty but they wanted to take my laptop away "to test" for 7 - 10 days. I can't be without it for that long so I ended up buying a new battery (I figured that even if it wasn't the battery that was causing the problem, at least I'd have a spare). New battery cost about £40. Its absolutely fine now.

Having said that Dell may be different. We've had laptops from them in the past and their aftersales has always been very good so it would probably be worth checking with them.
      Jackie

Comment

Thanks so much for your input here, wanted to check out as much as poss before telling my husband who is in bed ill!
        Sue x

Looking for Hanmores in Kent, Blakers in Essex and Kent, Pickards in East London and Raisons in Somerset.

Comment

Quick tip if you want to extend the life of a laptop battery (and indeed make the laptop run cooler) remove the battery when using the laptop on mains power.
          Unlike many charging systems a laptop charger does not cut off when the battery is fully charged.
          This reduces battery life and overheats the motherboard.
          Cheers
          Guy
          Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Thanks for all this advice, Phoned Dell today and after jumping through a few hoops they are sending a new battery that should arrive tomorrow. Hopefully, a result!
            Sue x

Comment

Sue,
              What is the after sales/help line service like with Dell these days. My first PC in 1987 was a Dell and it was nothing to wait an hour for help and that was if you could get through to them. My friend found things had not changed in 2000.
              Margaret N
              DOGS HAVE OWNERS ~ CATS HAVE STAFF

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

Comment

I keep getting a message from HP recalling some batteries, but as far as I can see mine isn't one of the models affected. It's a bit offputting though to keep getting the message.
                ~Val~

Comment

This is the link I used for HP help with my net notebook and they were very helpful with instructions when I thought my battery had "died" - I hadn't realised that the battery needs to be taken out if idle for over 2 weeks which mine is as I just use it for record office visits. The site is worth a try for help although I realise laptops are used more often

Comment

Working...
                  X