Nelson's Navy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nelson's Navy?

I've just been searching through TNA's database of the men who served at the Battle of Trafalgar and am disappointed that I don't seem to have any naval heroes in my family.

Has anyone else got an ancestor who served under Nelson? If you have please post his name and basic details here - it'll make interesting reading!
    Looking for Bysh, Potter, Littleton, Parke, Franks, Sullivan, Gosden, Carroll, Hurst, Churcher, Covell, Elverson, Giles, Hawkins, Witherden...

Yes, oh yes!

Well, not actually a direct ancestor, but a relative. A distant relative.

James Holden. Lost his right arm same time as Nelson and actually followed Nelson onto the operating table, same surgeon etc. James survived and was put ashore at Tenerife.

He had been pressganged and his family did not know what had happened to him. His wife was given permission by the Archbishop to remarry as James was never heard of again.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
      Yes, oh yes!

Well, not actually a direct ancestor, but a relative. A distant relative.

James Holden. Lost his right arm same time as Nelson....

He had been pressganged and his family did not know what had happened to him. His wife was given permission by the Archbishop to remarry as James was never heard of again.

OC
      Oh, poor bloke! Do you know if he survived the surgery?
      Looking for Bysh, Potter, Littleton, Parke, Franks, Sullivan, Gosden, Carroll, Hurst, Churcher, Covell, Elverson, Giles, Hawkins, Witherden...

Comment

My g.g.grandfather didn't actually serve under Nelson, but he was on the Victory for 10 days, and appears in the muster book. Later in its life, Victory was used, in port at Portsmouth, to board seamen who were between ships.
        It must have made a great impression on him; his son (who was also a mariner) later became landlord of The Victory Inn in Ponsanooth, Cornwall. I visited there as a small child in the 50s, when it was still in the family, and one of the rooms had a very large model of a sailing ship in a glass case - probably the Victory.

Comment

One of OH's ancestors was on the muster book of HMS Victory - but he's the one who ended up running (from a different ship) some years later.

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
          X