old-maps.co.uk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• old-maps.co.uk

Pardon me if this has been recently referred to. Has anyone recently re-visited http://www.old-maps.co.uk ?

They have now upgraded their interface and it is brilliant. The maps can be viewed in fine detail and you used to get their watermarks all over the map but that's now gone. They have made several more Ordnance Survey maps now available into the 1920s/30s.

Type in your location and the list of available maps come up on the right. Select> Enlarge map. When it appears click> Enhanced zoom. Controls to zoom in and out at the bottom.

You can then even make it 'Full screen view' by clicking the farthest icon on the right.
    Unfortunately you cannot save them on your computer, but you can always press print screen and save it to your clipboard.
    Last edited by keldon; 26-09-10, 16:16.
    Phil
    historyhouse.co.uk
    Essex - family and local history.

This is a lot better. I visited this site abt a week ago and I gave up cos I couldn't get around the map like we used to before they upgraded the website.

Thanks for the reminder..
    WendyP

Comment

That's brilliant, thanks very much Keldon. I've finally found the exact location of the farm where some of my ancestors lived, which I've been looking for for ages.

You can actually right-click and copy the image before doing the enhanced zoom, but it still has the watermark.
      Last edited by Mary from Italy; 27-09-10, 10:20.

Comment

Thanks for that - now finding the places my ancestors lived that I was struggling with before.
        herky
        Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Working...
        X