marriage in Ireland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• marriage in Ireland

George King was in the army in Ireland from 1844 to mid 1850's when his regiment went of to the Crimea .He and his wife Sarah Jane had a daughter Elizabeth Sarah Jane King; in all the censuses from 1871 she give a birth date of 1854 and a birth Country of Ireland and a place of Cork in two of them.

In beta.family search I have come up with a marriage for George King in the Irish Civil Registration Indexes Cork 1853 Vol 4 Page 491

Searching for Sarah Jane I come up with Sarah Jane Meyers Cork 1853 Vol 4 Page 564

Where do I go from here?

Mike in chilly Drioitwich
    Mike in Droitwich

My family tree is on
    http://mjfisher.tribalpages.com

As the entries don't match I would suggest you need to start again!
    What about getting a copy of one of the children's birth certificates to determine the mother's maiden name?
    Elaine

Comment

Now they don't actually give a reference so do the entries not related to the volume they are in and the number of page they are on in the index ,King entries on page 491 and therefore the Meyer entries would be later in the volume on page 564. As I can't see images of the pages I don't know if my assumption is correct ?
      Mike in Droitwich

My family tree is on

Comment

I was presuming, maybe wrongly, that it would be the same as the England/Wales BMD index where volume and page number would cross match.
        Elaine

Comment

Can't find the birth in Ireland for Elizabeth Sarah Jane King born 1854 Cork.
          this is her sister's birth certificate in the overseas indexes

Birth Cert 20 Nov 1857 ref A050830,,Cape Town,South Africa
          An entry in an Army Register Book of Births, Baptisms and Marriages H M 89th Regiment of Foot-Registry of Baptisms
          born 20 Nov 1857 Mil Chapel Cape Town
          bapt 06 Dec 1857 Adelaide Maria
          parents-George & Sarah Jane KING rank of father-sergeant
          by Revd. J. Elder No. 49 certified by Adjutant R S Newbigging Lt
          Mike in Droitwich

My family tree is on

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Fisher View Post
            Can't find the birth in Ireland for Elizabeth Sarah Jane King born 1854 Cork.
            Neither can I!

I have done a check of the volume/page numbers on the Irish Civil Registration lists, by find another marriage between a completely different couple, and then finding them on the Civil Registration list. Both the volumes and page numbers cross match on each entry - so I think you can discard the George King/Sarah Jame Myers theory.
            Elaine

Comment

I have ordered loads of Irish marriage certificates and the Volume and Page numbers must match.

Also you will find that second names are not always recorded on birth, marriage or death registrations in Ireland either.....as I have found....which makes researching much harder!
              teresa

Comment

Working...
              X