This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Operation Aborted?

What on earth is this all about? I have been having this suddenly come up onscreen for the last few days. It has happened on at least 3 forums I visit regularly. I am on the forum, then this message comes up and says Internet Explorer cannot open the internet site, operation aborted. My internet connection is still there though. I use Internet Explorer. Any ideas anyone please? I have done a virus scan, deleted temp int files and done Spybot.
    Last edited by Stella; 25-09-10, 15:16.
    Stella passed away December 2014

Stella have you got IE8 ??? if not upgrade to it, it also may be related to the updates did you get some in the last few days ????

Comment

Val,

I started getting this problem just before I downloaded ie8 (which I hate) but it has only got worse. It has happened to me only a few minutes ago while looking at some cars and again while viewing holidays. Touch wood it seems to have settled now. I wondered at one time if it was because the site that you are trying to view is 'down'.
      I have my updates switched off and take a look through them once a week and select any important ones. I had so much trouble when they were automatic. That is one reason I would like to change to an AppleMac don't suppose I ever will. Old technology but my friend never gets worried by this update lark in the same way.
      Last edited by Margaret N; 25-09-10, 20:36.
      Margaret N
      DOGS HAVE OWNERS ~ CATS HAVE STAFF

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

Comment

hi Margaret the only problem I get with updates is sometimes I have to do it manually as for some reason some of them wont work automatically.
        Applemacs are so expensive arent they ?

Comment

Margaret, are you using BT Yahoo Internet Explorer? I have heard there are problems at the moment with BT Yahoo. Val, I have my updates switched off, they cause no end of problems. Thanks though.

Comment

your not on msn ?

Comment

No Val, sorry, but busy Googling to sort out this blinkin problem. See you tomorrow.

Comment

Stella,

I am with TT using IE8 but my Home Page is Google. Not Chrome as yet as I found it too invasive last year maybe it has improved now.
                Margaret N

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

Comment

Originally posted by Stella View Post
                  I have my updates switched off, they cause no end of problems.
                  I am no expert but it would seem to me that the use of IE7, which I think you are using, and not receiving updates may be the cause of your problem.
                  Programs/operating systems are updated regularly, generally for a reason - the main ones probably being the smooth running and security of your PC.

If for some reason you are really reluctant to upgrade to IE8, although I cannot think why, then have you tried Firefox as an alternative?
                  Elaine

Comment

Thanks Margaret and Elaine. There are people who are using IE8 who are having the same problem, also people who are using Firefox (in this area). I think it is a BT problem here and have contacted them by email and awaiting a reply. Thank you though. It seems strange though that it is only certain sites it is affecting - this one seems OK though, touch wood.

Comment

Stella,
                      As i have told you that I use IE8 now but it made no difference. My neighbour uses Firefox and has the same problem so I agree with you that it is something to do with the BT line probably supply and demand.
                      Margaret N

Comment

Thanks Margaret and Elaine. I have contacted BT but they were so unhelpful, said my Broadband is OK and there is nothing they can do about it! Charming!!

Comment

Just thought I'd mention that I keep getting exactly the same message, at first I used to turn off the laptop and restart by which time all was fixed, but now I just press the back button and the site I wanted is there and works perfectly. By the way, we're with Tiscali for our internet.
                          :D Carolyn

Comment

Yes Carolyn, if I press the back button it sometimes gets me there, but it is still wrong that this is happening - most odd.

Comment

Stella go for the updates and install IE8 if it does not help then uninstall them, but as Elaine says the updates are important.

Comment

Val, I tried installing IE8 and when I did it, it installed all the Windows Updates which, when I do that, it crashes my computer and I have to use a recovery console to get it working again. Hence I have had Automatic Updates switched off now for ages because of this problem. I have been told it is something to do with their latest Service Pack which is messing a lot of people's pc's up. I dare not try it again.

Comment

have you tried emailing Microsoft about the updates doing that ? maybe they have a solution?

Comment

No Val, I haven't, but am so fed up at the moment with contacting BT, arguing with them, etc, I don't feel like contacting anyone else just yet.

Comment

Working...
                                    X