Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who is Grace?

Hi,

I have a 1911 census image for a charles a Lockton.

Charles is living with his wife Clara in Hull. Living with them is a Tom Lockton who is listed as brother and a Grace Lockton listed as neice. On Grace's entry it did say daughter, but this has been crossed out and neice entered instead.

Grace was born 1895 Hull Yorkshire. I have tried to find her on the 1901 but can't seem to find her, I also cannot find a birth record for her.

Charles and Clara also have a son named Fred born 1909 in Hull but I can't find his birth record as well.

Charles and Clara married 1911 in the Grimsby district. On Charles's ww1 service record it states his sons name was Charles Frederick Lockton and he was born 24/3/1909 Hull.

Could anyone offer any help or advice in finding Grace on the 1901 and help with find Grace and Charles frederick Lockton's birth record.

Kelly.

Does the name Radge mean anything? There are birth entries for Grace Lavinia Radge (Sculcoates) in 1896 and Charles Frederick L Radge (Hull) in 1909. There's also a marriage for a Clara Smith and John Harold Radge in Sculcoates 1895. The 1911 marriage has Clara as a Smith

1901 census RG13, Piece 4486, Folio 48, Page 21 has John Radge (44) with wife Clara (25) and daughters Grace (4) and Annie (5m) in Sculcoates
    Jackie

Comment

Hi Jackie,

Thank you for your help, it is truly appreciated.

The birth place on the 1901 for Clara is the same as the 1911, but Clara's birth year is different on the 1911 she has a birth year as 1881. I think this is a strong possibility for them. On Charles's service record it states at the time of marriage that Clara was a spinster so I wonder what happened to John Radge?

Kelly.

Comment

Well it looks as though he didn't die until 1935 so it might be worth trying to find him on 1911 just to check whether he's not with Clara - if he is then I've got the wrong one.

You could also look for Grace and Charles Frederick under that surname. I wondered whether the initial 'L' in Charles Frederick Radge's name stood for Lockton
        Jackie

Comment

I have just searched the 1911 and John Harold Radge is on there with a son, so did Clara and John get divorced?

Comment

Hi Jackie,

I can't seem to find a Grace, Clara or Charles Radge on the 1911 census!

I did wonder if the "L" stands for Lockton.

Comment

I don't have access to 1911. Does John Radge have a marital status?
              Jackie

Comment

Hi Jackie,

Unfortunately, I don't have access to the 1911 I am using the free search.

Comment

My guess is that (if its the right family) they divorced, which I would have thought was quite unusual, or she was economic with the truth when she married Charles Lockton ;). Interesting that she married him with the surname Smith
                  Jackie

Comment

Hi Jackie,

I have had a look on the National Archives for a divorce but I can't find one. I think it is looking like Clara was economic with the truth! On Charles's service record it states that they married at Grimsby Registry office and that Clara was a Spinster.

Also on Charles's service record it has a baptism date for Charles Frederick Lockton as April 1909 at St James Church Hull, the address for the at the time of the baptism is the same address for the 1911!

Kelly.

Comment

Hi Jackie,

John is listed as Married on the 1911 census, but no wife is living with him.

Comment

Hi Jackie,

I have just noticed that on the 1911 census image for Charles and Clara it states that they had been married for four years, but they didn't actually marry until 1911!

Comment

I think that everything so far points to them being the same family but the only way to make sure would be to get some certs. The only trouble is that it would appear that the information on them may not be accurate!!

Could you put the link up for Charles' service records please?
                          Jackie

Comment

Hi Jackie

Here is a link to the service record:

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/browse/...n=Lockton&st=g

Comment

Oh dear poor soul! I was looking for any other hints but couldn't find anything obvious. So he died in 1918 and there's a marriage for Clara Lockton in Q/E Dec 1919 in Hull
                              Jackie

Comment

So she married again! I hadn't found that marriage for her, I was looking for a death for her under Lockton but couldn't find anything now I know why!

Comment

According to Yorkshire BMD it was at Hull Register Offices
                                  Jackie

Comment

Working...
                                  X