Children in Islington workhouse?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Children in Islington workhouse?

Hi, I have been trying to locate my gggrandad John Proctor c1831 on the 1841 census. Putting aside his claims that his father kept the Angel & another time was a farrier, I may have located his baptism in London records for St georges. Mother Margaret Stuart & father William Proctor (coachman) residing in workhouse.

John claimed on all cenus that he was born in Islington. I have gone through the 1841 census for Islington workhouse for starters (nice plain writing) but there is only 2 15y old & one 10y old listed there.

Where are the children, there must be some?

Any help gratefully recieved

Looking at the baptism record it says under the parents' names - Margaret Stuart by William Proctor - giving the impression that Margaret and William were not married.
    Have you tried searching under the Stuart surname.
    Do you know if/when Margaret and William married?
    Elaine

Comment

I can see John in the 1881-1901 census, giving place of birth as Islington.
      1871 census he seems to believe he was born in Coldhurst Sussex - unless I've got the wrong one.
      Have you found him in 1851/1861 - in which case can you give the references.
      Elaine

Comment

Thank you. he was in Barracks as J.Proctor on the 1851 & possibly in Ireland 1861 (his son was born in Dublin 1862). He settled in Worcester when discharged where he died in 1912. I am still checkng the 1871 as I dont seem to have a note.
        He enlisted in Enfield when he was 19, so I think he was living around the Lndon area. I cant find a marriage for Margaret & William.

Cheers.

Wow--- you are right, he has Sussex there. Thank You, another lead.
        Last edited by Ellen Proctor; 24-09-10, 12:02.

Comment

Though it says Coldhurst on the transcription there's no such place, I think it actually says Ewhurst.

Comment

Thank you Jill, or could it be Salehurst? the starting letter looks the same as the "S" on surrey & Sussex. My partner says Ewhurst as well.

I wonder why he would trip up there and say sussex, he states London m'sex on the 1851 & on later census records. Its not even ditto'd from the family above.

Comment

Working...
            X