Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to find Great Grandfather (Pearson) Bilston

Hi all
    First off can i appologise in advance if i have posted my following request incorrectly as this is my first time.

Im currently looking to find the name and any information reguarding my Great Grandfather.
    The problem I have is for some reason my Great Grandmother we believe re-married and so although my grandads name remained Pearson she became Croft.

The details i have which may help if anyone has any access to any helpfull records or who can point me in the right direction are as follows.

My Great Grandmother:
    Ethel Pearson (nee: Swaine) (Born 1900c)

My Great Grandfather:
    Unknown ?? (this is the missing link)

My Grandad:
    William Oliver Pearson (Born 1911c - Died 1969)

My Grandads Sister:
    Possible living person (Born 1917c - could still be alive)

As far as we know Ethel Pearson got re-married to Josiah Croft shortly after my grandads sister was born her name is Possible living person (Born 1917c)-(she married Possible living person)

So from approx 1917c onwards there is no record we can find for my real Great Grandfather who i have spent many hours talking to family and searching trying too find.

Any help is greatly appreciated or family connections , if you need any further details please let me know here or in private.

Many Thanks in advance

Lee
    Last edited by Velma Dinkley; 23-09-10, 21:40. Reason: Removal of names of possible living persons

Hi there, I think this may be your great grandfather - William Pearson m Ethel Swain Jul/Aug/Sep 1911 at Dudley. Vol 6c.page 55.

Nina

Comment

That looks like a good match many thanks Nina

My grandad was (according too his gravestone) born in 1911 but records show he was registered in 1913. So im guessing either a quick wedding was organised or my grandad was actually 2 years younger than he actually thought

Is there any clues to what happened William Pearson (who married Ethel Swain) ? I know Ethel remarried Josiah Croft but we dont now what happened to my Great Grandad and to what means he met his end.

This would be the final part too the puzzle which should allow me too move onward with my tree.

Again many many thanks for the fast reply Nina it is very much appreciated

Lee

Comment

Hi Lee, I too have found the birth entry as 3rdQuarter 1913 registered at Dudley. Strange about the 2 year diff in record dates, methinks someone telling porkies ) Will see what I can find out.

Nina

Comment

Ooh i like skeletons in cupboards

Thank you Nina

Comment

When did grandad die ?

Comment

1969 (registered wolverhampton) Buried at Bushbury , It was around December i believe i was 5 months old so i am told and he was in my christning photo's so im guessing thats the correct year.

Comment

Did your grandad die in 1969 ? There is an entry for a William Oliver Pearson, birthdate 21 Aug 1913 with a death registered at W'ton 4th Q 1969 Vol 9b Page 2607.

In view of the above .I wonder why your gran remarried?

Comment

......... if she did remarry `)

Comment

Hello Lee and welcome to Family Tree Forum

Just so you know, it's against our forum rules to name living/possible living persons (born after 1915 with no note of death) - that's why I have removed their names.

However, if you subsequently discover that they have indeed died then you are welcome to add their names again, provided of course you add the year they died as well.

Many thanks,

Velma

Comment

Thats my Grandad for sure , It was His Mother that re-married which was my Great Grandmother Ethel Pearson (nee: Swain) she married a guy they called Josiah Croft (they called him Silus) we are now thanks too your help 99.9% sure that my Grandads father is William Pearson who you found but looking through some papers which make a little more sense now, we believe his middle name was William Arthur Pearson who married the above Ethel Swain who then had my grandad with the confusing birthday (1911 now 1913) just need to now how my Grandfathers Dad died now (maybe war , illness etc. ?)

Thanks for the time your spending helping Nina
                      Last edited by Lee_wwfc; 23-09-10, 21:53.

Comment

Originally posted by Velma Dinkley View Post
                        Hello Lee and welcome to Family Tree Forum

Just so you know, it's against our forum rules to name living/possible living persons (born after 1915 with no note of death) - that's why I have removed their names.

However, if you subsequently discover that they have indeed died then you are welcome to add their names again, provided of course you add the year they died as well.

Many thanks,

Velma
                        Sorry about that i missed that rule , Im pretty sure that all the people mentioned have passed on , All grandparents i can guarentee and great granparents.

I have also just checked that my Dad's Aunty (Maud) as also passed to the best of our knowledge so ill refrain from using her surname just in case.

Ill make sure I keep the living hidden

Lee
                        Last edited by Lee_wwfc; 23-09-10, 21:51.

Comment

Hi Lee and welcome

I was going to suggest that you get hold of your great grandmother's marriage certificate to Josiah Croft because that would give her marital status on it (providing she was truthful!) Trouble is, I can't find any reference for it. Do you have the details?
                          Jackie

Comment

Ill just take a look now for you , I think i may have a refrence for that.

Lee

Comment

Ethel Pearson m Josiah Croft. 1950 Rowley Regis. Vol.9b Page 833

Comment

All we can find is the following :

Josiah Croft , Lived in Chapel Street , Sedgley , He was Foundry Worker (Unsure when he died though we know he is passed on) Just gave my Dad a quick call he said he wasnt 100% they did get married it was all presumption :/ though it was in the late 40's early 50's

Would really like too know how my Grandfathers real Dad passed away though
                                Sorry i couldnt be any more informative :(

Lee

Comment

Originally posted by Inahaystack View Post
                                  Ethel Pearson m Josiah Croft. 1950 Rowley Regis. Vol.9b Page 833
                                  Just found that. So Ethel didn't marry Josiah until 1950 - could be that she wasn't free to do so until then
                                  Jackie

Comment

Originally posted by Night Owl View Post
                                    Just found that. So Ethel didn't marry Josiah until 1950 - could be that she wasn't free to do so until then
                                    Exactly what im trying to find out
                                    I feel so close to something thats been eluding me for 2 years. Just gotto work out if her previous husband died in the war or other

Blimey i wished i had found you guys months ago

Lee

Comment

I am wondering if your grandad was a POW in WW2, however I would have thought he would have been 'discovered' by the time Ethel married Josiah......... Unless he was a POW in the Korean War, in which case he would not have been repatriated until at least 1953.

By the way Lee, Sedgley/Coseley is my home territory )

Nina

Comment

I still live in Bilston Nina My dad was brought up around Coseley and the top of Bilston many many moons ago
                                        Funny you mention the POW i was just blindly looking through in a novice fashion at the POW files. Im sure the answer of what happened too him is stareing me in the face

Comment

Working...
                                        X