No announcement yet.

Help please, I am looking for info on pensions paid to Chelsea Out- Pensioners,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help please, I am looking for info on pensions paid to Chelsea Out- Pensioners,

Please can any one help,
    I am looking for info on William Kay who born Cannongate Edinburgh c1842. On the 25.12.1872 he transferred to 79th Regt, No 1700, He was discharged on 17 Jun 1884 at Gosport Hants, with total of 14 years to count towards his pension. He was in trouble while he was in the army, & this continued after he was discharged.

The latest definite info I have on him is, a report of him in the newspaper Saturday, July 09 1892 where he was sentenced to six weeks imprisonment for not contributing towards the support of his wife, “ Mrs Kay said her husband had a pension for a 1s a day and had been in constant work at 4d an hour“.
    He had died by16 March 1908 when a son married!

I can’t find a death in the right place! Is there any way I could find when the pension payment ceased? This would help.
    I have looked in The National Archives, but I don’t understand them & couldn’t findany thing on the Chelsea Out-Pensioners??
    I would really appreciate any help or advice anyone could give me.
    Thank you,
    Ann E

There are records of pension payments for the UK at the National Archives, arranged by payment office but unfortunately they only go up to 1862 so won't help you.

It sounds as though you have his discharge papers. Very occasionally, but usually for later discharge papers, death certs are included.
    The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
    Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

I wouldn't assume he was dead by 1908 purely because it says so on his son's marriage cert. That isn't necessarily reliable, especially when a father had left his family or was not on good terms with them.

Comment

Thank you annswabey, for the info on records of pension payments, as you said no help.

Blackberry thank you, I have considered that the death on his sons marriage may not have been reliable, but I cant find him in the 1901 or 1911 census index, I had a look up done for Scotland & nothing was found, I doubt he could have gone far from the IOW as he never had any money, I don’t know where else to look.
        There is a William Kay in Portsmouth in the census but that is not mine.
        Ann E

Comment

have pmd you

Comment

I have someone discharged 1819 from the Royal Radnor militia, I have his discharge papers ( Chelsea out? pensioner) What else can I find out.

Comment

There are various records at Kew, Megan. Possibly the most useful are the Muster Rolls in WO13 which should give a quarter by quarter account of where he was. Have a look at the Research Guide on their site to the Militia and it will give you an idea of what they have.

Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

Thanks for that annswabey so as his papers come under W097 it means he served in the French Revolutionary and Napoleonic wars. I have him in Cornwall in 1800 where he married so possibly defending the ports and so on. Any idea why he would have been in Athlone in 1813?

Comment

I suppose the regiment was there for some reason but no idea what that would have been. Not sure what you mean here

so as his papers come under W097 it means he served in the French Revolutionary and Napoleonic wars

His papers should give you a summary of where he served and as I said, Muster Rolls would be more specific.

Comment

Ok thanks sent you an e-mail

Comment

Working...
                    X