Can't make sense of this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't make sense of this

I have a Hannah Heath in my tree born in Totnes Devon about 1824 -31, died in Marylebone Q1 1883, I am trying to confirm her parents, I know the mother was Elizabeth something and the fathers surname was Heath.

I think I have found her in the 1841 census under Paignton district 3 which includes Totnes she is aged 10 but I cannot find any parents or other Heath named relations.

I wonder if anyone can shed some light on this for me?

search.ancestry.co.uk/Browse/view.aspx?dbid=8978&path=Devon.Paignton.ALL.3.1

Also it looks like there is an occupation of Ag Ap????
    Life's a journey not a destination.

Currently researching: Makey (Kent), Heath & Neil (London & Devon), Pegg (Norfolk & Suffolk), Gulliford (Cornwall).... Still busy busy!

did she marry?

Comment

Have you contacted the Devon Online Parish Clerk and requested a lookup in the parish registers?

Online parish clerk - Beverly Edmonds

Might just give you a starting point.
      Elaine

Comment

I don't know yet whether she married, I haven't found anything on-line.
        I will contact the Devon OPC

I was surprised that at age 10 there is an occupation which I take to be agricultural apprentice, although that said I think that age is wildly out as in the 1851 census she is 27!

Currently researching: Makey (Kent), Heath & Neil (London & Devon), Pegg (Norfolk & Suffolk), Gulliford (Cornwall).... Still busy busy!

Comment

have you tried looking for Elizabeth in 1841? states she is from Ashburton, devon in 1851

Class: HO107; Piece: 1490; Folio: 722; Page: 58; GSU roll: 87817-87818.

Presume that the two children are Hannahs?
          Last edited by Darksecretz; 23-09-10, 10:30.
          Julie
          They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

seems that william was with her in 1861 as a servant

Class: RG9; Piece: 77; Folio: 110; Page: 21; GSU roll: 542569.

possibly her in 1871?

Class: RG10; Piece: 1031; Folio: 123; Page: 58; GSU roll: 827476.
            Last edited by Darksecretz; 23-09-10, 10:33.
            Julie
            They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Not sure the 10 year old in Devon 1841 can be the same person?
              If Hannah is the 27 year old in Marylebone with Elizabeth Heath in 1851, they seem also to be there in 1841 (a family on Piece 677 Book 11 Folio 36 Page 67)
              Father is James Heath, 40, Elizabeth 40, Hannah 15, James 15. Think they have all gone down as born in the county, but this has frequently been known to be wrong.
              The son Ellis in 1851 household aged 9, born Marylebone, should be the Ellis Edward Chilcott Heath registered Marylebone Sep 1841
              This name seems to go a way back in Totnes, with baptisms there of Ellis Chilcott Heaths in 1768, 1777, 1802 (Record Search)
              Also a James Chilcott Heath, bap 15 April 1798 Totnes, and the burial of a James Chilcot Heath in 1844 age 46 St Mary Magdalene Paddington
              So maybe, if it is the same family, the younger James in 41 is also James Chilcott, two Wesleyan baptism records online for same day 30 March 1828, Torquay area, mother either Elizabeth or Hannah
              Last edited by JonnyB; 23-09-10, 10:56.

Comment

If you don't know whether she married, how are you sure that the 1883 death is her?

Comment

Wow!! thanks all, I have some looking up to do.... I will report back when I have pieced it all together.
                  As for the death I found a record that seemed to fit, made an assumption and was tracking back to confirm.

Comment

Originally posted by andymak View Post
                    As for the death I found a record that seemed to fit, made an assumption and was tracking back to confirm.
                    Treat it as if you're claiming an unclaimed estate! Chapter and verse at every stage on the way backwards.
                    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle John View Post
                      Treat it as if you're claiming an unclaimed estate! Chapter and verse at every stage on the way backwards.
                      That's why I needed to find out more about her and her parents, most of this part of the tree have been easy to confirm through available records, the theory I follow has worked successfully so far with 'family' on the edge of commonly available records and until I am sure I don't confirm them in my tree proper.

Comment

Working...
                      X