Query about Scotland's People

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Query about Scotland's People

Is Scotland's People web site complete? I ask because I've been looking for my Mitchelhill family of Kirkcudbright on there and whilst I can find records for some of them, there are others that are on the IGI that don't come up in my searches. I know you shouldn't believe everything you find on the IGI but the records I HAVE found on Scotland's People are also on the IGI and the images confirm the IGI details. I have also found transcriptions for my 4xgt grandparents' burials on a Kirkcudbright history web site but no Mitchelhill burials come up at all in my SP searches.

Ann
    ".... thy memory shall be blest by the children of the children of thy child".
    Alfred, Lord Tennyson

havent been there for a while but I got an email from them saying that they've got a brand new looking website all updated but I deleted the mail so never followed it up.
    WendyP

Comment

Ann

I don't think that any site is ever 100% complete. As far as I know, SP only shows parish records for the established church, so any noncons won't show.

I'm assuming you are talking pre-registration? If not, give us a name and we will try to find out why they are on the IGI but not SP.

OC

Comment

I don't know, but I have two families who I cannot find records for - the Cole baptisms in Montrose in 1800-1805 - the family Bible says they were baptised at Montrose and/or Ferriden, but recently found the parents marriage in scotlands people (its been in the IGI for a long time). The other is the Kethel baptisms in Perth - found Alexander and Joseph but cannot find Margaret and Jane - I would have thought it strange if the girls were not baptised (1835-36) - Joseph's is in the IGI but don't think Alexander's is.

Di
        Diane
        Sydney Australia
        Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

i have trouble with my scotts too. mostly i can find half the kids baptisms, for any family, but i have never found all of them.
          maybe scotlandspeople transcribed your rellies wrong?

Comment

Per OC's comment give us an example se we can look for you. Without that, the most likely reasons to be on IGI but not on SP would be the IGI record is submitted or a different transcription of the name as SP's OPRs are pretty much the same as the IGI records and SP now has pretty much all the RC records online as well now

Comment

Further expanding on OC's answer, "the established church" in Scotland can vary from time to time. The SP pre-1855 OPR (Old Parochial Records) baptism and marriage records are from churches which were Church of Scotland at the time. There are frequent instances of churches changing to/from (e.g.) Free Church of Scotland or other minority sects, sometimes at the whim of the minister at the time. The flow-chart of changes through history of "flavours" of Church of Scotland as sects seceded and recombined looks like a cats-cradle. The only certainty is that Espiscopal and non-conformist (e.g. Methodist, Baptist) church records will not be found on SP.
              Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Thanks for all your replies. Firstly, yes the records I'm looking for are pre-registration. The family name is MITCHELHILL but it is sometimes recorded as MITCHEL or even HILL, just to be helpful! Mitchelhill seems to be a Borders name, not particularly common in Scotland, more so in Cumberland. My family seem to have been the only Mitchelhills in Kirkcudbright at the time I'm searching, which is 1780 to the mid-1820s. I have IGI batch numbers for the records I've found and, as I said, those that are also on SP confirm the details as correct.When one of the family emigrated to Australia in the 1850s he gave his religion as Presbyterian which may explain various absences from the SP records - I hadn't realised they only covered the established church. I think you've answered my query OC and Uncle John. Thanks.

Ann
                ".... thy memory shall be blest by the children of the children of thy child".
                Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Comment

The Church of Scotland is Presbyterian (i.e. no bishops). But so are all the other minor sects, apart from the Episcopalian Church of Scotland, which has bishops.
                  Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

As a total newcomer to family history, I am interested in this topic too. I am researching two family trees (mother and father-in-law) and both have a Scottish component, with one being totally Scottish. I have used Ancestry plus Scotland's People (hardly IGI at all) and have a number of people in the 1800s whose birth, death or marriage don't show up. Of course I expect there to be errors and omissions, but one always hopes!

The general advice seems to be that there is no substitute for going to the parish records on site, which I would love to do, but, living in Australia, it isn't always possible! Are all IGI's records online, or are some on CD & microfiche - and if the latter, how do I access them in Australia? Are there any other obvious online sources that I should know about? (e.g. does TheGeneologist.co.uk have anything the others don't?)

Comment

Hi Eric - I agree: there is no substitute for seeing the parish record. Hardly any IGI records are online and for the most part can only be seen in the following way: visit your local LDS centre; order a film (for a fee); view the film on a reader. Bigger LDS centres (e.g. London FHC) actually hold a large number of films in stock, so the ordering part is not always necessary. How you can 'copy' the record depends on the centre: e.g. in London you can photograph the record or scan it (by means of rewinding the film and taking it to another reader hooked up to a PC!).

The Sydney one is:

Hyde Park Sydney Australia
                      The Connaught Building, 1st Level
                      185 Liverpool St
                      Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
                      Phone: 61-2-9283-7196
                      Hours: Mon, Wed 9.30am-3pm; 2nd and 4th Thurs 6:30pm-9:00pm; 1st and 3rd Fri 9:30am-3:00pm

Another way (depending on the area) is to contact the local (usually county) archive: they may sell fiche of the parishes you are interested in - poss. good value if you have a lot of rellies in one parish!

Comment

Working...
                      X