Dissolved Marriage - Explanation help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dissolved Marriage - Explanation help please

Hi all, researching my husband's family we got hold of his parents marriage certificate and my husband was very surprised see that it stated that his father had a dissolved marriage?

Does dissolved marriage mean he was divorced? His parents got married in a Catholic Church so we were a bit surprised. I haven't found any evidence in my searches of his previous marriage so we haven't a clue what is going on , can anyone help with an explanation on what dissolved means please? many thanks in anticipation. Ali

Yes, dissolved means divorced.

However, if he was strict Roman Catholic, it MIGHT mean the previous marriage was annullled, but it ought to say that. It does seem very unlikely that he was allowed to remarry in a RC church, unless no nuptial mass was said?

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
      Yes, dissolved means divorced.

However, if he was strict Roman Catholic, it MIGHT mean the previous marriage was annullled, but it ought to say that. It does seem very unlikely that he was allowed to remarry in a RC church, unless no nuptial mass was said?

OC
      Hi Old Crone Holden thank you for your quick response and agreeing with our thinking about a divorce or annulled marriage. My MiL is from Ireland and was a practising RC. It might be that they didn't have the mass said, my MiL was very secretive about everything around that time including her age!;D

Any other help from the forum gratefully received, kind regards Ali

Comment

I could be wrong here, but I understood that if the Catholic Church granted an annulment, the parties would still have to get divorced in the civil courts if either wishes to remarry. The wording on the marriage certificate is the person's legal marital status as opposed to any decision made by the church.
        Jackie

Comment

Working...
        X