can i ask for help again....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can i ask for help again....

i have looked back at all my old post on wdytya to see if i can find Hirst kemp marriage,i think it was a laura not sure?.i want to send for there marriage lines and i would like to know if anyone can find his wife. Hirst born 1865 maried i think 1883 died 1903 i think,im trying to find his parents too,could be john j kemp and an issabella,i also would like to send for there marriage lines. thankyou brenda xxx

Hirst Kemp married either Margaret Lockwood or Betty Peel

Bradford 1883 Q3
    Vol 9b Page 302

Comment

Just looked for Hirst on the 1891 and 1901 census and his wife is Laura on the 1891 and Ellen on the 1901 so there appears to be something odd going on here as they don't match with the marriage at all.

Comment

That's the only marriage I can see as well.
        However, it does seem a bit early as he was only 17 at the time.

The 1881 census shows:

Hirst Kemp c 1865 Bradford, Yorkshire
        Laura Kemp c 1865 Birmingham, Warwickshire
        James Kemp c1889 Bradford, Yorkshire,
        Ernest W Kemp c1890 Bradford, Yorkshire
        living in Horton, Yorkshire

.. but I can't see a marriage to Laura.
        Elaine

Comment

1901 Laura is shown as married -

Laura Kemp c 1866 Briningham, Warwickshire
          James Kemp c 1889 Bradford, Yorkshire,
          Florence C Kemp c 1892 Bradford, Yorkshire
          George S Kemp c1897 Couenting, Warwickshire
          living in Leeds, Yorkshire
          RG13; Piece: 4238; Folio: 85; Page: 6.

whilst Hirst is elsewhere!

Ellen Kemp c1873 Bradford, Yorkshire Head
          Hirst Kemp c1865 Bradford, Yorkshire Husband
          living in Bradford
          RG13; Piece: 4148; Folio: 37; Page: 27.
          Elaine

Comment

Just been checking the other couple shown on the marriage index page with Hirst and Tom Bottomley seems to have married Betty Peel so Hirst must have married Margaret. I wonder what happened to her!

Comment

There are two possible deaths on free BMD - both in 1886 in Bradford
              Margaret Ann Kemp (b c1852)
              Margaret Ann Kemp (b c1863) - age wise, this one seems more likely.
              Elaine

Comment

Thought you might find this interesting, as I too questioned the very young ages at which some of my ancestors got married.

Lord Hardwicke's 1753 Marriage Act, made it illegal for those in England under the age of 21 to get married without the consent of their parents or guardians. The consent requirement was repealed and replaced in July 1822, and an act in July 1823 restored the pre-1753 rule of Canon 100. In effect, therefore, from 1823 the age at which a couple could undergo a valid marriage, even without parental consent, reverted to 14 for boys and 12 for girls. The 1929 Age of Marriage Act made all marriages void from 10 May 1929, if either partner was under the age of 16. The legal age for marriage remained at 14 for boys and 12 for girls in the Republic of Ireland, until 1st January 1975, when it was raised to 16.

Nina

Comment

Still can't find a marriage to Laura.

On the question of Hirst's parents, his mother seems to be Isabella, but on the 1871 census she is married to John Gerrard (Hirst shown as son) and on the 1881 she is with William Cameron (Hirst shown as step son).

Comment

Isabella Kemp married John Gerrard in 1871 so I think you'll have to get Hirst's birth certificate to find his father.

Bradford 1865 Q1
                    Vol 9b Page 151

Comment

Isabella married William Cameron in 1879.

Comment

Originally posted by Breckland Jane View Post
                        Still can't find a marriage to Laura.

On the question of Hirst's parents, his mother seems to be Isabella, but on the 1871 census she is married to John Gerrard (Hirst shown as son) and on the 1881 she is with William Cameron (Hirst shown as step son).
                        this is what was confusing me too as his father seemed to have died when he married.brenda xxx

Comment

james kemp my grandfather,s mariage cert says Hirst was his father but deceased.brenda xxx

Comment

im very confused now.......lol....has she been married 3 times?kemp,cameron,bentley?i know Hirst father died young about 38 years old is what i found out from the wedding cert .brenda xxx

Comment

Originally posted by brenmac View Post
                              james kemp my grandfather,s mariage cert says Hirst was his father but deceased.brenda xxx
                              Yes, that looks right Bren.
                              James was born c1889 in Bradford and can be seen on the 1891 census with father Hirst Kemp and mother Laura.
                              What we can't confirm is Laura's maiden name as we cannot see a marriage to Hirst.
                              Maybe you need to get James' birth certificate to see what that says.

Hirst Kemp died in 1903
                              Deaths Mar 1903
                              Kemp Hirst age 38
                              Bradford vol 9b page 103
                              Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by brenmac View Post
                                im very confused now.......lol....has she been married 3 times?kemp,cameron,bentley?i know Hirst father died young about 38 years old is what i found out from the wedding cert .brenda xxx
                                All we know about Laura is that she was "married" to Hirst Kemp, as shown on the 1891 census.
                                She is then living on her own in the 1901 census - Hirst at that time is living elsewhere.
                                Hirst dies in 1903 and it seems as if she then has a child (b1903) by Thomas Farrer Bentley - can be seen on the 1911 census

The Cameron name is from a previous generation on Hirst's side of the family.
                                Elaine

Comment

so it cant be laura cameron born 1865 ...brenda xxx

Comment

do i need Hirst father and mother to send for the birth cert ?brenda xxx

Comment

All you need is the GRO reference - do you have it?

... and which birth certificate are you going to get? James or Hirst ???
                                      Elaine

Comment

i think hirst as it says on james cert that hirst was his father,no i dont have it elaine.....will it still cost me the same without the parents brenda xxx

Comment

Working...
                                        X