Pet Names

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pet Names

Some of my ancestors had pet names, for example a lady was called Amy but she was known as Meg!, it would help if we could start a thread where people can contribute with their names.

The most common among mine is Peggy for Margaret; I have a Daisy whose baptismal name was Margaret,then there's Dolly for Dorothy and I have aBert who was baptised James Birkett.

Comment

My grandad was Basil but known as David, My father in law is called michael but is known by his middle name Ian..One of my ancestors was Lilian but known a Ellen...The list is endless!!

Jules ..

Researching/ MADGWICK, RAMUS, PONT, MITCHELL, CHAMPION, GOSSLING, VAN STAADEN.

Comment

Many pet names/nicknames are completely arbitrary or arose from some personal circumstance. So I don't think examples of these are particularly helpful to anyone else.

On the other hand, a list of commonly found ones could help people. Ones like Polly for Mary, Daisy for Margaret (Marguerite) and so on.

Then there are the variants: most people guess Albert or Herbert for Bert, but there's also Hubert, Cuthbert, Bertram etc
        Last edited by Blackberry; 30-09-10, 17:04.

Comment

One of my rellies married a Sarah Jane but she is on the 1901 and 1911 censuses as "Cissie". I don't think it would be classed as a regular nickname for Sarah, but I was interested that they thought it sufficiently her 'proper' name to put it on something so official. (She is Sarah Jane on her husband's probate entry)

Anne

Comment

'Cissie' I think is often a pet name for 'sister' and not tied to a particular name. I've come across several people, all with different forenames, where the name Cissie has stuck, sometimes for life!

ETA although it can be a short form for Cecilia, Cicely etc.

Comment

My OH had a great aunt Cissie who was baptised Elizabeth. She had 3 older brothers so I presume that was where the nickname came from. Confusingly she named her own daughter Cissie and they were known to all as Big Cissie & Little Cissie ;)

One of my Godmothers is Peggy Margaret - I always thought Peggy was a pet name for Margaret but she was baptised with both names.

In my tree and OH's we both have more than one Mary Ann who were all known as Polly.
              Last edited by LangleyValeSue; 30-09-10, 21:56.
              My avatar is my Great Grandmother Emma Gumbert

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

Originally posted by Audrey H View Post
                I have aBert who was baptised James Birkett.
                Ooh I have Birkett as a first and middle name in my tree. They came from the Lake District.
                Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Blackberry View Post

On the other hand, a list of commonly found ones could help people. Ones like Polly for Mary, Daisy for Margaret (Marguerite) and so on.

Then there are the variants: most people guess Albert or Herbert for Bert, but there's also Hubert, Cuthbert, Bertram etc

Here's a useful link for Traditional nicknames -

https://wiki.familysearch.org/en/Tra..._Old_Documents _-_A_Wiki_List

The page is virtually blank but just put the word nicknames in the search box on the right and
                  it throws up a host of options.

This is the new Family Search Beta site

Nina
                  Last edited by Inahaystack; 01-10-10, 06:20.

Comment

I have a Great Grandmother who was christened Emily Oates but she married under the name Martina Oates .That name in the 1860's make me wonder what she did for a living ?!?!
                    I think, therefore I am. Descarte

Comment

My Grandmothers name was Jeanie....but she shows on census as Jane.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle John View Post
                        Ooh I have Birkett as a first and middle name in my tree. They came from the Lake District.
                        My Birketts come from Birkett Robert Cragg born in Preston Richard (Kendal reg district) in 1840. Birkett has been passed down from him as both first and middle names by Cragg sons and daughters.
                        I think it was originally a surname used as a middle name, but since Robert Birkett is one of my "puzzles" (listed as son on census but suspect that lady is his grandmother and his mother is her daughter, both named Mary) I have yet to prove that.

Comment

I had an Aunt Cecilia who was known as Cissy.

June

Comment

My grandmother's "Aunt Polly Em" turned out to be Emily Esther. She was called Polly because she had a parrot!!!!!
                            ~ with love from Little Nell~
                            Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

:lol: My hubby's aunt is called aunt Dinksie (however one writes it)... Not because that is her name, but because she was always so small... Yet her real name is Joan.
                              It seems that I have been quite lucky with my tree. No weird things, only one Emilia/Amelia, but that could have been a mistake of the census enumerator...

Comment

daisy= edith rose, pansy=catherine frances, mimi=marian emma, lucy=caroline lucy, jack=john henry, dorothy alice vye=kitty nina=lorreina maude! there are some weird ones.

Comment

Working...
                                X