Address? - Anne Dollman - 1939-44 - Northampton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Address? - Anne Dollman - 1939-44 - Northampton

Hi - I wonder if anyone could give me some tips on how to find where my Grandmother lived between 1939-44 in Northampton. Her name was Annie R. Dollman. I have been in touch with the Northamptonshire County Council Archivist Dept and check out the electoral rolls, but of course there are no records for the dates that I'm looking for (War Years). Any tips or ideas would be great. Thank you.

Hi Sooties,
    Can you add a little more information about Annie in the war years? Was she a child or an adult? Single or married? Was she just in Northampton between 1939-44 - if so, do you know why?

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Annie Ross Dollman was my Grandmother and was born and lived in Northampton all her life. She would have been in her late 20's early 30's at the time of the war but I don't think she was living with her husband. She could have been living with a man called Herbert Kimberley Cunningham at that address. Sharon

Comment

I believe you can get details from her national identity card as you have her address. It isn't cheap though - £45????

OC

Comment

Any children of school age? - I am thinking school admission books. (You don't need to state their forenames on here, just a year for when they would have been five.)
          Do you know which area of Northampton / part of an address / a local landmark which might offer a clue as to possible schools?

Jay
          Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

I know she lived at 47 Kettering Road, Northampton. But the NOrthamptonshire Archivist don't have records for 39-45 (war years) and they are the years that I'm particularly interested in!

Sharon

Comment

Would her eldest child have been born c 1934, so starting school c 1939?

Some of the older schools have gone and so their record books may have been deposited at the County record office. Parents gave an address when the child started school, and were supposed to keep the school updated.
              Clare St School was on Kettering Rd, but further up than 47!
              Both the record office AND the central library have past maps of the town (but they don't each have the same maps!) They should be able to consult maps and advise you which infant schools served children living in Kettering Rd, and if those schools still survive.
              The admissions books may still be with the school, if it is one which still exists, although remodelled. The school where I taught had the admissions book from when the school first opened.

Jay
              Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 22-09-10, 19:51.
              Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Thanks for that Janet. What I'm really trying to find out is who lived with her at that address besides her children. I know of a gentleman whom I believed lived there, but I don't know the exact dates he was there too. His name was Herbert Kimberley Cunningham (my Grandfather) who died in 1943 in Northampton.

Sharon

Comment

What address is given for place of death on his death cert?
                  Who registered the death?

Anything amongst old family papers about insurance payments to help with funeral expenses? (I found a copy of my Granny's death cert issued for insurance purposes - had my Dad's address on the back, which differed from Granny's.)

You could try the central library in Abington St Northampton and ask them to look for possible obituary/funeral notices in the Northampton newspapers. (The Chronicle & Echo was daily and I think there were a couple of weekly ones. )
                  If you haven't already got it, the death cert will give you the exact date of death.

Jay
                  Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Yes I know his date of death. I'm trying to find out when he lived there because my Nana never told my father the truth about his father! It was all hush hush in those days. I'm grasping at straws really, because I can't seem to find anything about this man! My Nana told us she was house keeper to him - but I don't think that was the case! I have the chronical and echo obituary notices and death certificate which certified my Nana was the one who was with him when he died and that he lived at 47 Kettering road, but I would really like to find out when he started to live there.

Sharon

Comment

As you have the address and name for him then you should ask about the electoral registers which are compiled every year, as they are today, not sure what they did during the war years though.
                      They are usually held at the local records office.

Edna

Comment

Sorry I did not read the first message properly, you have already asked about them.

Edna

Comment

He was registered by my Nana (Annnie) and his place of residence was 47 Kettering Road. He died at Northampton General Hospital. I'm wondering when he started to live with her that's all. Sharon

Comment

Working...
                          X