Holdens of darwen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holdens of darwen

HAS ANYONE GOT in their tree [ IF SO GET IN TOUCH WITH ME ] the following person
    JOHN HOLDEN b1806--married to HANNAH HAYHURSTc1807
    he is a SON OF TIMOTHY HOLDEN b 1771 Darwen AND ESTHER JEPSON .[the link goes back to OWD TIMOTHY O'TH'LOOMS]
    he is my gg grandfather ! he moved from Darwen to Salford in the 1830's.
    I would be most interested in any references to him .or the family
    OLDE CRONE PLEASE NOTE --I HAVE ONLY RECENTLY MADE THIS CONNECTION AFTER THREE YEARS OF SEARCHING .

Welcome to Family Tree Forum.

Just to let you know I have moved your thread over to our Research Qs & As forum where hopefully someone may be able to help you.
    Elaine

Comment

There are some trees on Ancestry with your Holden line on them.

My Holden line(my gt grandmother's father) comes from Robinson Holden born 1824 at Darwen son of Thomas Holden born c1795 and I think Margaret Robinson.Robinson had siblings,Sarah,Elizabeth,Jane,Margaret,Harriet,Mar tha and Thomas all born between 1816 and 1834.

We may be connected but I can't link your line at the moment.

Liz
      my avatar is Emily Varndell Andrews,my paternal grandmother born 1891

Comment

Hello Angler

I'm just checking my tree for these people, back in a min!

OC

Comment

Yes, I have John as a son of Timothy 1771 and Esther (Jepson).

John was born 24 March 1806, baptised May 13 at Pole Lane Chapel.

I do not have any forward information for him - how do you know it is this John Holden who married Hannah Hayhurst, please?

OC

Comment

OC. I MAY HAVE JUMPED THE GUN A LITTLE-- BUT THIS IS WHAT ENCOURAGED ME [MARRIAGE 2nd Jan 1828 St Mary's Blackburn John Holden and Hannah Hayhurst] I AM TRYING FOR A COPY OF THE CERTIFICATE TO ESTABLISH HIS FATHER -
            YOU MAY REMEMBER THAT I ASKED FOR HELP ON THE FAMILY ABOUT TWO YEARS AGO, AND YOU REPLIED.BUT COULD NOT ESTABLISH ANYTHING FOR I DID NOT KNOW HANNAH'S NEE NAME THEN .WILL STAY IN TOUCH --ANGLER

Comment

Thanks for that congletonian ! I will look see in my tree if i can find anyone --angler

Comment

Many thank elaine for your assistance

Comment

Ah, right. You won't get a cert because civil registration didn't start until 1837. The marriage is listed on LAN-OPC and there is no further information - what you see on that site is what is written in the register so there is no information about fathers.

There is another John Holden, born 1804, father Timothy Holden 1770, so we have a problem, especially as that one lives in Blackburn.

Do you have your John on all census? I don't have Ancestry anymore so I can't look for him. Do you know where he is buried? There may be a clue on the gravestone.

OC

Comment

Oc. If you contact me by PM i will give you all the details i have-- angler but not on open forum
                    it looks like one step forward and two steps back on my tree !! Lol --i am on genesreunited .and have got copies of the 1841 and 2862 census for the family .
                    Last edited by Caroline; 21-09-10, 19:11. Reason: Email address removed

Comment

Hi Angler

I've done some digging and have found that Jeremy Hunt documented the children of Timothy Holden and Esther Jepson. Hunt states that John Holden married Mally Holden (yep!) (18 October 1830). They had eight children -Mary Ann, Nancy, Betty/Betsy, William, John, Edward, George and Alice, with some suspicious gaps.

Now, Hunt could be wrong of course, but in my experience he rarely was wrong. I have just asked a contact to look up John, Mally and their family on the 1841. When I get that info then it will be reasonably certain that your John is not the son of Timothy H and Esther Jepson.

I don't actually need to see your tre, but was just wondering if you have anything which would help pin down his parents, such as a relative staying on census night, or a monumental inscription, or an unusual name for one of the children - reminds me, any descendant of Owd Timothy o'th'Looms always has a son Timothy, so I would expect your John to have a son named Timothy. (Not foolproof, especially if the child died young)

OC

Comment

OC In the 1841 census the family had a Betty Holden 1786 shown on the return . [i am not clear if they were living with her or her with them ] the address
                        was Clayton Street Salford ---
                        At least two of their children were born at 20 Clayton Street . [they had six
                        Elisabeth1831- James1832-Charles and Mary1836 [twins ]--- John Thomas1841 and Alice1844
                        --NO TIMOTHY . LOOKS LIKE I HAVE HIT A BLANK WALL AGAIN !
                        I THINK THEIR IS ONLY BAPTISM RECORDS NOW FOR ANY HOPE OF TRACING JOHN SHOWN AS c1811 AND HANNAH c1811 in the1841census
                        and 1806 John and 1807 Sarah in 1861 census .---- angler

Comment

Angler

Doesn't look like the same family then, as John b 1806, son of Timothy Holden and Esther Jepson, is married and living at Bury Fold, Over Darwen in 1841. John is an ag lab.

I don't know what else to suggest really. Do you know when your John died and where he is buried?

OC

Comment

oc. i know that when john thomas 1841 [john1806's son] died in 1877 he was interred at weaste cemetary salford so i am hoping that both john and hannah are also there . i only have possible deaths for them 1872 and 1873-- I have requested a cemseach for the holden in weaste . will keep you posted . angler

Comment

Hi old crone holden, just to keep you up to date --i have had cemsearch report from weaste cemetary salford
                              and there is no mention of my family --i know for a fact that my g/ grandfather john thomas 1841 [son of john 1806] and his wife sarah ann c1841 were buried there. [ him in jan 1877 and sarah in june 1884
                              so i was most disappointed with the search results .i have complained to cemsearch about this . I am now at a complete loss where to go next ---angler

Comment

HELLO AGAIN , I HAVE BEEN DIGGING SOME MORE ON THE SUBJECT OF JOHN HOLDEN 1805 AND HAVE FOUND THIS
                                Baptism: 17 May 1805 St Mary the Virgin, Blackburn, Lancashire, England
                                John Holden - Son of William Holden & Jane
                                Born: Apr 1805
                                Abode: Pleasington
                                Register: Baptisms 1792 - 1812, Page 234, Entry 30
                                Source: LDS Film 1278804 ======= COULD THIS BE HIM ???
                                NOTE -- PLEASINGTON IS ON THE RIVER DARWEN -=====JOHN GIVES OVER DARWEN AS BIRTH PLACE
                                IN THE 1841 CENSUS WILLIAM IS A CALICO WEAVER AGED 65 --JANE IS ALSO AGED 65
                                THEY HAVE TWO CHILDREN== RHODA 25YEARS [CALLICO WEAVER ]== AND MARY AGED14 [NO JOHN]
                                IN THE1851 CENSUS== WILLIAM IS 78 ==JANE IS 77 AND DAUGHTER MARY IS 23 YEARS
                                ALL OF THEM ARE SHOWN AS WEAVERS. DO YOU THINK THERE COULD BE A CONNECTION???
                                I ALSO HAVE THE MARRIAGE OF JOHN AND HANNAH

Marriage: 2 Jan 1828 St Mary the Virgin, Blackburn, Lancashire, England
                                John Holden - Muslin Finisher Bachelor of Blackburn
                                Hannah Hayhurst - Spinster of Blackburn
                                Witness: Thomas Hayhurst, (X); Rich Maudsley
                                Married by Banns by: John Wade Hubbersty
                                Register: Marriages 1827 - 1829, Page 7, Entry 19
                                Source: LDS Film 12788
                                YOUR HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED , ANGLER
                                Last edited by angler2holden; 26-03-11, 11:48.

Comment

Very difficult to know, really. I don't associate Pleasington as being Over Darwen. It's near, granted, but people born in Pleasington tend to say they were born in Pleasington and not Over Darwen.

There are just so many John Holdens in the area and sometimes it can be impossible to distinguish one from another unless there is fsmily information.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

OC

Comment

Oc , do you know how to access the lds 12788 and 1278804 films? I was wondering if there could be more info to be had on them . Angler

Comment

Angler

Film 12788 has been transcribed from the same original source as the LAN-OPC records and therefore there will not be any further information on the original. Blackburn Cathedral records were brief and to the point!

Film 1278804 is again from the original source and is transcribed by LAN-OPC.

However, if you wish to see the film for yourself, you can order the films to view at your nearest LDS family history centre, for a small charge. A list of their centres is on their website.

OC

Comment

Working...
                                      X