Harry Smith

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harry Smith

I am looking for a Harry Smith who died when?

Harry Smith married a Mabel E Shepphard in 1944 and they had a daughter called possible living person who was born in 1945.

Mabel E Bessant was born around the 18 May 1913 at Aston, Warwickshire, England and her mother's maiden name was Ward. She married Leslie Percy Shepphard in 1932, but later divorced around 1942 and then married Harry Smith in 1944.

Mabel E Smith was left a widow and died in August 2005 at the age of 92 years old at Registration District was Birmingham, Inferred County was Warwickshire, Register Number is H28B, District and Subdistrict is 061/1H and Entry Number is 60 and would like to get a Death Certificate for Mabel E Smith.

Harry Smith was married before and was left with two or three daughters and when Harry Smith married Mabel E Shepphard it was said that one of his daughters were about Mabel's age.

I am trying to track down the Local Paper for the Aston, Warwickshire District where I can look up for Harry Smith's Death Notice or do you have Electoral Register Rolls on line that I can look at or are the Electoral Rolls kept at another place.

Thank you for your help?

Personal contact details removed for security reasons
    Last edited by Velma Dinkley; 20-09-10, 12:27. Reason: Naming of (possible) living persons and disclosing of personal info

Hi, Welcome to FTF.
    Electoral rolls online are by subscription and only go back to 2000. Other Rolls are held in the local library to the address and are searchable by address only.
    To get the death cert you will have to apply to GRO here http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/ and they cost £9.25 each.
    Local papers are also held at libraries unless they have been archived online - you can often access these through your own library who will likely have a subsrciption. Otherwise you need to search say on google for the newspapers local to the event.
    If you start by getting Mable's death cert that will give you her address at the time so you have something concrete to go on.
    Margaret

Comment

Do you know Harry's date of birth - the marriage cert will give his age so the year could be estimated.
      Searching the death index on FreeBMD might show Harry's death if you knew his date of birth.
      Margaret

Comment

Welcome to FTF Charmaine! I understand it is difficult to obtain death certificates for recent deaths unless you know the exact date. However it might be worth seeing if Mabel left a Will in which she might have described her family. You can do this by applying to the Probate office at York. It costs £5 for a search over 3 years and that includes the copy of the will if there was one. Read about wills and probate in the FTF reference library here http://www.familytreeforum.com/conte...ls-and-Probate

Anne

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
          Welcome to FTF Charmaine! I understand it is difficult to obtain death certificates for recent deaths unless you know the exact date. However it might be worth seeing if Mabel left a Will in which she might have described her family. You can do this by applying to the Probate office at York. It costs £5 for a search over 3 years and that includes the copy of the will if there was one. Read about wills and probate in the FTF reference library here http://www.familytreeforum.com/conte...ls-and-Probate

Anne
          I've checked the GRO site and provided you give the age at death all you need is the registration details which are quoted.
          Margaret

Comment

Dear Margaret,

I am sorry that I do not know Harry Smith's Birth Date, but I could order the Marriage Certificate which might tell me his birth date. It will depaend on the cost of it coming to New Zealand.

Regards

Charmaine Simmonds

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
            Do you know Harry's date of birth - the marriage cert will give his age so the year could be estimated.
            Searching the death index on FreeBMD might show Harry's death if you knew his date of birth.
            Margaret

Comment

Hi - have you looked in here in case there's a notice - http://www.iannounce.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by Charmaine Simmonds View Post
                Dear Margaret,

I am sorry that I do not know Harry Smith's Birth Date, but I could order the Marriage Certificate which might tell me his birth date. It will depaend on the cost of it coming to New Zealand.

Regards

Charmaine Simmonds
                The cost from GRO is the same for UK as abroad so £9.25 - we complain because we don't get it cheaper!! LOL
                The marriage cert won't give his date of birth but it will give his age and his father's name so we might be able to find him in the records depending on the date.
                Margaret

Comment

Dear Anne,

Yes, it would be interesting as to whether Mabel left a will? and you say it could be at York. The problem is I do not have a bank account in England and would they take a credit card.

Please let me know

Regards

Charmaine

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post

Anne

Comment

Sorry - I don't know the answer to that. :( I know you can't order wills on-line, it has to be by post.

Maybe some of our other overseas members can suggest what to do.

Anne

Comment

In case you want to order the marriage cert Charmaine these are the details (important to note the correct spelling and year too as it is actually Sheppard and the year was 1944) -

Mabel E Sheppard to Harry Smith - July-Sept 1944 - Birmingham Warwickshire - ref 6d 957

It was the quarter after the birth of who I assume is their daughter.
                      Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Here's the guidance from the HMCourts Service website
                        Fees: When returning the completed application to the Postal Searches and Copies Department in York, please also
                        enclose the fee of £5.00. Each extra copy of the same document ordered at the same time will attract an additional
                        fee of £1.00. Cheques or Postal Orders should be crossed and made payable to ‘HM Courts Service’. Fees from
                        abroad should be paid by International Money Order, cheque or draft, payable through a United Kingdom bank, and
                        must be made out in £ sterling.
                        We are currently unable to accept payments by credit or debit card, nor are we able to
                        receive search requests by telephone. Please contact the Postal Searches and Copies Department for details of fees
                        for special copies (for instance if you are administering estate abroad), and mark your application accordingly.

Looks like you need to use a money order.
                        Margaret

Comment

Dear Chrissie,

Thanks for your information and I will try to find the correct spelling

Charmaine

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                          In case you want to order the marriage cert Charmaine these are the details (important to note the correct spelling and year too as it is actually Sheppard and the year was 1944) -

Mabel E Sheppard to Harry Smith - July-Sept 1944 - Birmingham Warwickshire - ref 6d 957

It was the quarter after the birth of who I assume is their daughter.

Comment

Working...
                          X