Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oswald Leonard Green

Hello All

I've recently started researching my family tree, and so far I've got quite a lot of information on my late mother's side , but very little about my father. Born 1918 in Grimsby Lincolnshire, married my mother 1946 and died in Grimsby 1955.

His mother's maiden name could have been Asher, and his father's name might have been Bertie, (Albert? Bertram?) and it's possible they married in Grantham Lincs. in 1911.

If any member has anything further I'd be very grateful

Probable birth registration for Oswald - from freeBMD

Oswald L Green
    MMN Asher
    Date of Registration: Apr May Jun 1918
    Registration district: Grimsby
    Volume 7a
    Page Number 859

His birth certificate, which you could order from the General Register Office, would show the name of his mother and father and would help you locate their marriage.
    Elaine

Comment

That was quick Elaine, I'm going to Grimsby soon so I'll get that certificate when I'm there

Thanks

Comment

This is your parents' marriage (from Ancestry):

Name: Oswald L Green
        Spouse : Edith M Robinson
        Date of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar 1946
        Registration district: Grimsby
        Registration county (inferred): Lincolnshire
        Volume Number: 7a
        Page Number: 1541

If you get the cert from the GRO (link in Elaine's post), it will give their fathers' names and occupations, so you're sure you're researching the right families.

Comment

The Green-Asher marriage you mentioned is on FreeBMD (is that where you found it?) and it looks as though your father had a brother and sister, born in the Grantham registration district in 1912 and 1914.

Comment

HI

I've sent you a personal message which refers to the the 1911 census which is why I cant post it on here - if you check you email account you'll have a email in there telling you that you have a new message or if your still on this site check your notifications at the top of your screen.
            WendyP

Comment

Mary from Italy, You are a star!

If that info is right, then you've discovered an aunt and uncle that I never knew about. did you find their names?

I'll have to get a flight booked and do some local research, I'm overdue a visit to the family so I can do both.

Comment

If you go to FreeBMD, enter Green as the surname and Asher as the mother's maiden name. This will show all births from mid-1911 (when the MMN was added to the index) with surname Green and MMN Asher. I haven't put their names on this thread just in case they're still alive, but you can find them easily on FreeBMD.

You would need the actual birth certificates to check whether they were actually your father's siblings. I've just noticed that there was another Green-Asher marriage in Grantham in 1902, and it's quite possible that the children born in 1912 and 1914 were born to that marriage.
                Last edited by Mary from Italy; 19-09-10, 19:15.

Comment

if you check your Personal message you will see that Bertie and ms Asher didn't marry untill after the 1911 census...
                  WendyP

Comment

Wendy, thanks I've replied to your PM

Mary from Italy thanks again. Another Green-Asher marrige in Grantham? I hope we're not discovering some skeletons in the cupboard here

Comment

email recieved and replied to,
                      WendyP

Comment

Originally posted by sparkinspain View Post
                        Another Green-Asher marrige in Grantham? I hope we're not discovering some skeletons in the cupboard here
                        No, I shouldn't think so

This is the other one:

Marriages Dec 1902
                        Asher Annie Lizzie Grantham 7a 1043
                        Green John William Grantham 7a 1043

They could be related to your Asher and Green (it wasn't uncommon for two brothers to marry two sisters), but Green is a fairly common name, so they may be entirely unrelated.

Comment

Hi - I see you've posted your query here, now, as suggested on the New to FTF thread.

For future reference, it's probably worth mentioning any detail you've already got, so that people don't use up time looking for things you already have. I had an odd sense of déja vu when I first read your post - until I realised that I really had seen it before!

Christine
                          Last edited by Christine in Herts; 19-09-10, 21:57.
                          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Ok Christine, I've noted your comment and apologise for any confusion caused.

There are 2 more facts about my father that you may be able to help with, I was told that he went to to fight in the Spanish civil war (1936-1939). I know that there was a group of volenteers called the International Brigade who went there to fight the fascists. Is there any of finding out more of this period of his life?

Also he was in the navy during WWII, but I've no idea which ship he served on or where he spent his time during the war.

I'm not looking for specific answers, just for advice on where to look.

Thanks in advance

Comment

You may be able to obtain your father's service records for his time in the Navy.
                              A good starting point would be the Military & Maritime section in our Reference Library.
                              There is a section on the Royal Navy page which gives websites and addresses for obtaining service records.
                              Elaine

Comment

This link may help with information on the International Brigade
                                Elaine

Comment

You may be able to find more info about any International Brigade membership here, or at least where else you can look

Jackie

Comment

Whoops Elaine got there before me ;D
                                    Jackie

Comment

Working...
                                    X