Waterman Appentice Records help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waterman Appentice Records help

Hi looking to see if anyone can help me find out if my great great grandfather was apprenticed as a waterman.

I have found him in the various censuses from 1871 to 1911 and his occupation varies from waterman to lighterman to bargeman to even a Captain of the boat "Mars" at Cowley Lock in 1891.

I have found out that other ancestors were Watermen/Lightermen and found when they were bound and freed but no sign of him

His name was Solomon Smith
    DOB 8th March 1866 in Weedon
    Date of death 6th March 1941 at St Barthomolomews Hospital London
    Married Mary Ann Stokes on 25th December 1892 in Stepney

In 1891 he is in Uxbridge, 1901 in Limehouse and in 1911 he is in Mile End London

I am also trying to find out where he may be buried but no joy at City of London Cemetery and trying Tower Hamlets but any others ideas would be welcomed

Can anyone help and as usual greatly appreciated

Steven

If he doesn't appear in the Apprenticeships Bindings Index 1692-1908 then I doubt he was formally apprenticed as a waterman/lighterman.

If you haven't checked those records, I understand they are shortly due to be released on Findmypast - which would be cheaper than buying the whole set of discs from ParishRegister.com!
    Elaine

Comment

Thanks for that Elaine - I was thinking of buying the CD but it would have been £30 for one name. Any idea when it might be released on FMP and I take it they will be available on pay per view as I don't have a membership on FMP?

The only other option is if I get lucky and someone looks him up for me who has the CD!!! Solomon seems to be a bit economical with the truth on his age and occupation on the censuses - at 24 in 1891 he says he is a Captain and just wanted to try to prove if he was telling the truth. Would love to find where he is buried and if he had a stone but not looking hopefull

Thanks again

Steven

Comment

Originally posted by stevie2006 View Post
        Thanks for that Elaine - I was thinking of buying the CD but it would have been £30 for one name. Any idea when it might be released on FMP and I take it they will be available on pay per view as I don't have a membership on FMP?
        Can't help you with the CD I am afraid. I have some earlier records but not as late as the 1870s.
        As to when they will be available on FMP - all they have said is "coming soon".
        I'll keep an eye out for you and let you know.
        Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine - in 1881 census he is listed on board a Canal Grain Boat with his parents James and Hannah and sister Hannah and some other child called Philip Swain. He is listed as age 16 and a boat boy so any apprenticeship looks like around this time. They were living on board the Canal Grain Boat and their address was given as Coventry Holy Trinity, Warwick. In 1891 he is "Captain" so I suppose that would be period I need to check once the records become available.

Steven

Comment

The Apprenticeship Bindings that I mentioned - which are the ones due to come on to FMP - are the Thames Watermen Bindings.
            If Solomon was in Warwickshire by that time then I don't think they are going to be of much use.
            Elaine

Comment

there is quite bit of stuff on Parishregister on Watermen

Comment

I think you will find that all the stuff on ParishRegister/Docklands Ancestors refers to Thames Watermen.
                Elaine

Comment

Thanks Val been on it and some good information. Now wondering where I could get apprentice records for Solomon as he may not have worked on the Thames as Elaine pointed out

Steven

Comment

From what you've said it's much more likely that he was a canal boatman than a Thames waterman. The places you mention are all on or near the canal network. The canal carrying companies kept records of their boats, so finding records of the "Mars" would be a shorter route than looking for his name (many fewer boats than emloyees). From previous similar threads I think you may find canal carrying company records at the National Archives.
                    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Thanks John never thought about trying to trace the boat

Steven

Comment

Thanks Val some fantastic photo's

Steven

Comment

Working...
                        X