X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Service record

Hi

Is anyone able to access service record images on Ancestry or FMP?Thanks
    Last edited by LeicestershireLass; 19-07-13, 14:22.
    Don't put off until tomorrow what you can do today ~ follow your dream!

You can get a copy of them from the TNA. I found my GGG grandfather's Royal Marine records on there and they weren't downloadable, but I asked for a quote and They cost me £3.50 and were posted directly to me.
    Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Hi Wendy, thanks for the info ... we are waiting for the quote (submitted request last night, so don't anticipate response until next wk), so was hoping that his records might be on FMP or Ancestry and that someone on here may be able to access them and let me have a copy.

Comment

There is nothing that early on Ancestry and the records on Findmypast are from the WO97 series.
        Elaine

Comment

Thanks for the info Elaine ... looks like we'll have to wait for the quote.

Is there likely to be any other info on Ancestry / FMP ?
          Last edited by LeicestershireLass; 19-07-13, 14:23.

Comment

I can't think there would be anything related to his service career.
            I would imagine the only other online information you might find is parish register info - but no idea if anything is available anywhere for Bilston.
            Elaine

Comment

There is an entry on FreeREG

Charles Doughty
              Baptism - 23 Feb 1755
              Father - Charles
              Mother - Elizabeth
              St. Leonard, Bilston, Staffs

If you search just using the surname/place name and trawl through you might find some siblings.
              Elaine

Comment

.. thanks Elaine
                Last edited by LeicestershireLass; 19-07-13, 14:23.

Comment

Bilston PRs (1684-1837) are online, confirming the 1755 baptism:

Last edited by Mary from Italy; 18-09-10, 10:22.

Comment

thanks Mary ... just having a wonder around FreeReg

Comment

Originally posted by LeicestershireLass View Post
                      ... just having a wonder around FreeReg
                      One of those sites that you need to keep an eye on - new things being added all the time.
                      Elaine

Comment

Re the service record. Unfortunately I think TNA might refuse to give you a quote as there would have to be some searching to find it - they wouldn't be able to go straight to it. Hope I'm wrong, though, for your sake!
                        The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
                        Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

Bilston Parish Registers also record this Death -

2/0159 9 Sept 1821 Charles DOUGHTY age 70 Bilston

This could be your Charles especially if he stayed around the Bilston area after his army service.

You can obtain copies of the original parish registers from the Postal Research Services Section at - http://www.wolverhampton.gov.uk/leis...ries/archives/
                          Last edited by Inahaystack; 19-09-10, 14:41. Reason: wrong url

Comment

This is the full link for the Postal Research Services -

404 Page not found. The page you were looking for appears to have been moved, deleted or does not exist.  You could go back to where you were, or head straight to our homepage.

Can someone tell me why the full address does not appear when I post a link? either by copy/paste or by typing ? Am I doing something wrong ?
                            Last edited by Inahaystack; 19-09-10, 14:51.

Comment

Originally posted by annswabey View Post
                              Re the service record. Unfortunately I think TNA might refuse to give you a quote as there would have to be some searching to find it - they wouldn't be able to go straight to it. Hope I'm wrong, though, for your sake!

Leicestershire Lass has found the record details which is all the TNA need to find the records. They won't have to search for it.
                              Wendy

Comment

They've refused me before, although I found the details on the TNA site.

Comment

Thanks everyone for your responses ... waiting to hear from TNA re quote !!!

hoping service record will have a note of his next of kin .. married or not ??

Comment

Wendy

I think the WO121 records are on film and whilst they will know which film it's on they won't know WHERE on the film. We'll see. Unfortunately too, Army records this early don't usually give details of any next of kin.
                                    The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
                                    Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

:( ... was hoping for a bit of info .. now wondering what you get for your fee?

Comment

My Royal marine records were for 1840's and they only told me what his DOB and which ships he had served on. No mention of any relatives or anything.
                                        Wendy

Comment

Working...
                                        X