Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• backing up FTM

Hi everyone,
    I decided today to rob my son of his external hard drive, and decided to do a proper back up. Having done that, I thought I'd better check to see if it worked......

I had ftm 2005, and bought 2010 in March this yr. Thought it best not to delete 2005 until I was sure abt the 2010 version. I like it, But...

Hubby has decided to buy me an apple laptop..Ok, I said, but FTM doesn't work on that....so searched and found they are releasing an apple version later this year. So I decided, wait till that comes out, but a proper back up was needed. ( I have 5760 names). SO...

I backed up to external hard drive, decided to test it, and "it" wanted to open in 2005 version not 2010. So I thought, time to delete 2005. Did that, tried again and it opened in 2010...Ok, good I thought. Only to discover, that:

All Living persons, are listed as just "living",!!! No anything else! Now this is my private file...when I up load it to ancestry I still need to be able to see stuff DOB, DOD, marriage etc ( I always privatise that file, as this was my original backup)).

I cannot figure how, all these persons are listed as just living....Does anyone know how to change it back...( It's ok cause, my normal file is still working), its just if I save to an external, shouldn't it keep the file EXACTLY the same??

Just want to be sure before I get new puter/software?

Jackie
    Be nice to your kids...they have to choose your nursing home!

Make sure that your normal file, before you do a backup, does not have the Privatise File option ticked.

On 2005 - FILE / PRIVATISE FILE - then asks you if you want to privatise
    On 2010 - FILE / PRIVATISE - tick or untick as required

If your file is not privatised before you do a backup it there is no reason why it should suddenly change once the backup has been performed.
    Elaine

Comment

Working...
    X