Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Christening in 1753 in Sparshot Where ever that is ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christening in 1753 in Sparshot Where ever that is ???

Hi I am the 5th Greatgrand daughter of William Bailey and Jane Haines, who were married in Sparshot in 1793. Living "Down under " it is hard to get hard evidence but it all fits and feels right. I have now found the christening of a William Bailey born on 8 Apr 1753 in Sparshot, Who's mother name was Mary and fathers name was Ralph Bailey , I have no idea how far from Thatcham Sparshot is ??? William was born in Thatcham as was Jane . They had a son Daniel Pearce Bailey and daughter Sarah this is why I think that William & Jane should be on my tree I would like to push the family tree back a bit, so can you help please
    Sheila
    I think, therefore I am. Descarte

Hi - this site incorporates Sparsholt and Thatcham - http://www.cassinimaps.co.uk/shop/up...cham_183_1.htm
    Last edited by naomiatt; 17-09-10, 22:51.

Comment

Thanks I have been on the map but I can't find Sparshot, is it near Thatcham ???? Sorry

Comment

Hi I am sorry it is breakfast time 9am: so must away for 1 hour
        Sheila

Comment

Hi - it's spelt as Sparsholt on the listing below the map...hmm..it's mentioned here as well -

When I google Sparshot spelling it gives Sparsholt spelling or a Sparshot/t surname

There's a Sparsholt here -

If you look here, it's above Thatcham to the left of the map

Also found these in here http://www.starstay.co.uk/search.asp?search=sparsholt

Sparsholt, Wantage, Berkshire

Sparsholt Firs, Wantage, Berkshire

Sparsholt, Winchester, Hampshire
          Last edited by naomiatt; 17-09-10, 23:17.

Comment

Thank you I have it now and I am very sorry for the spelling error

Comment

Hi - not a problem. Bit of a tongue twister isn't it
              This man might be able to tell you more about Sparsholt

and there's info on burials in here for the Holy Cross, Sparsholt
              Last edited by naomiatt; 18-09-10, 04:30.

Comment

I have sent all afternoon on Google Maps, and am now more confused than ever. There are 2 Sparsholt 1 in or around Wantage, and 1 in or around Winchester. I have looked up my Bailey's of about the 1700's and early 1800's and they are all from Bucklebury, Cold Ash, Woodley,Wokingham and Thatcham. Most GRO certificate I have are regested in Reading . William Bailey and Jane Haines were both born in Thacham, so which Sparsholt did the marriage take place in the 1793 ????? I am compleatly lost
                can any one help please.

Comment

I'd go for the one near Thatcham. Winchester is a long way away.
                  Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Thank you Uncle John.

Comment

Sparsholt near Winchester is about 30 miles from Thatcham and Sparsholt near Wantage is about 20 miles, so either is feasible really.

Comment

Thank you Blackberry. some how I'll have to get a certificate to find out which one it is. Does anyone know where or how I would find out and get a certificate for William and Janes wedding ????
                        Sheila

Comment

Hi - anything in here? http://www.berksfhs.org.uk/berkshire...riageIndex.htm

Comment

Family Search beta site has this marriage:

Groom's Name William Beeley
                            Bride's Name Jane Haines
                            Marriage Date 29 Apr 1793
                            Marriage Place Sparsholt,Berkshire,England
                            Indexing Project (Batch) Number M01986-1
                            System Origin England-ODM
                            Source Film Number 88410

It won't be in the Berks FHS marriage index as "Parishes that were formerly in Berkshire and now in Oxfordshire are on the North Berks Marriage Index compiled by Oxfordshire Family History Society."

Sheila, you say your William and Jane were both born in Thatcham, what's your source for this? Are you sure they are the same people that married in Sparsholt?

Comment

Blackberry. Their son was named Daniel Pearce Bailey, born 1819 and born in Cold Ash .I had this Daniel P Bailey's GRO marriage certificate of 16 Aug 1838 St Mary's Reading. In which it said that the father was a baker, and Daniel was a Blacksmith. There are only 2 Daniel Pearce Bailey around at that time and both are mine, so to speak. Until I can get a certificate of William and Jane there is only the 1841 census To go on

Comment

-It it now 10.30 so I am Sorry to say that I am away to Bed Nite Nite. I hope that the info: helped
                                Sheila

Comment

I assume that the marriage certificate gives Daniel's father's name as William, but I'm not sure where you have found his mother's name. Have you found a baptism record for Daniel?

I can't see a William Bailey in the 1841 census in the Thatcham area but I may have missed something, could you give a census reference please?

Comment

Good Morning Blackberry, On the 1838 marriage lines Daniel P Bailey married Maria Earles and Daniel P Bailey senior was a baker, he was born in Thatcham in 1793 .Daniel P Bailey senior married Anna Brunsdon born in Buckleburry in 1816 in the parish church in Thatcham.some information was got from the I.G.I. Indivdual records and I worked backwards. Do you think that is right or wrong. if wrong can you help.
                                    Sheila

Comment

I have just found some papers from the Familey Search on William and Jane, but alas I can't find the 1841 census printout so sorry can't help there.
                                      Sheila

Comment

So the father of your Daniel Bailey b. 1819 was also a Daniel Bailey, OK.

Just looking at the baptisms on Family Search and I can't see a baptism around 1819 for Daniel. Although there are some baptisms at Cold Ash* to Daniel and Maria Bailey (the marriage you found gives a full name of Anna Meriah Brunsdon)

Maria 1817
                                        John 1820 (mother's name Anna Maria)
                                        Henry 1822
                                        Matilda 1825
                                        William 1827
                                        This couple with Henry and Matilda are in Cold Ash in the 1841 census (*Cold Ash was part of Thatcham parish) but his occupation looks like farmer - it's a bit difficult to read though.

Have you found a baptism for Daniel jr that I've missed?

Comment

Working...
                                        X