how can I get rid of this ? Overture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how can I get rid of this ? Overture

for about a fortnight now sometimes when I google and click on a website I get this instead ???? although its the right link ? dont know what it is but I just go back and click on another link and its usually okay but its driving me nuts having to keep doing it till I get the right link
    Can I get rid of it permanent? thanks

< link removed - potentially malicious code >
    Last edited by Grimsqueaker; 18-09-10, 09:13. Reason: removal of link

Hi Val,

I have removed the link you posted as it's intention is not clear, and has the potential to be malicious...(the link, not you Val ;) )

Is it any website that you click on via google, or just specific ones ??
    https://squeakerslair.wordpress.com

Comment

Have you tried deleting browser history in Internet Options (general)?

Comment

Hello Val - Do you have Malwarebytes software on your computer? If you do run a full scan. If not download from here http://www.malwarebytes.org/ When its downloaded and installed on your computer, check for any updates then run a full scan. Sounds like you may have picked up a nasty.

Good luck.
        Linda - Happy Hunting

A tidy house is the sign of a broken computer

Researching: Brown, Bell, Key and Musgrave from Cumberland. Dodds, Green, Campbell, Hall, Armstrong, Davison from Co. Durham. Raymond from Devon/Cornwall.

Comment

Thanks Grim and all
          Have been googling and it seems its to do with Yahoo search engine so dont think its a Virus Linda.
          So how do I uninstall that ?? as I dont seem able to find the programme ??
          I use Ccleaner every night before I close down, and that would clear my browsing history Velma.

Comment

aha I have now changed my search engine to Google and touch wood , it seems that the yahoo search engine watches what sites you use ??? and I hadn't realised it was my default search engine ?? well it isn't now , so if anybody else is using it get rid .

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
              aha I have now changed my search engine to Google and touch wood , it seems that the yahoo search engine watches what sites you use ??? and I hadn't realised it was my default search engine ?? well it isn't now , so if anybody else is using it get rid .
              But I had a problem through using Google. I had only brought up a list of results from my search and my anti-virus software popped up to tell me it had detected a nasty and asking permission to remove it. I hadn't opened any sites, it didn't give me time. Since then I won't use Google and have made Yahoo my default browser. Seems like you can't win!

Ann
              ".... thy memory shall be blest by the children of the children of thy child".
              Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Comment

really Ann ? I did a few gooles and my Kaspersky didnt warn me once , and that dreaded URL thingie has not reappeared yet ?.

Comment

Hello Ann,

I don't think google on this occassion was the cause of your problem. I would guess that you just happened to be using google when you hit a problem site that would have come up with any browser. That is why we use Microsoft Security! ha!ha! maybe it proves that it is working lets hope so.
                  Margaret N
                  DOGS HAVE OWNERS ~ CATS HAVE STAFF

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

Comment

Originally posted by Margaret N View Post
                    Hello Ann,

I don't think google on this occassion was the cause of your problem. I would guess that you just happened to be using google when you hit a problem site that would have come up with any browser. That is why we use Microsoft Security! ha!ha! maybe it proves that it is working lets hope so.
                    That's what I thought too Margaret! It just seemed strange the way it happened but maybe I'd picked the thing up from another site and MSE just happened to find it at the moment I brought up my Google list. It was very disconcerting....but at least MSE got rid of it in minutes, so I was quite impressed!

Ann
                    ".... thy memory shall be blest by the children of the children of thy child".
                    Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Comment

The search engine does not run on your computer, so if it was bad the whole world would be affected. This looks like a nasty which is intercepting (sometimes) the calling up of a website. Might not be the same nasty for Ann and Val. Use the Anti-viral disinfectant.

Comment

Hello Val - you might like to have a look at the testimonial on the right hand side of this site http://www.surfright.nl/en/hitmanpro This free software (30 day trial) comes recommended on PC Advisor Helproom. Looks like you may have a nasty and this software (according to the testimonial) may help you get rid.

Kind regards - Linda
                        Linda - Happy Hunting

A tidy house is the sign of a broken computer

Researching: Brown, Bell, Key and Musgrave from Cumberland. Dodds, Green, Campbell, Hall, Armstrong, Davison from Co. Durham. Raymond from Devon/Cornwall.

Comment

thanks Linda but I have changed my search engine from Yahoo to Google and touch wood its fine now , seems it is a Yahoo problem .

Comment

Working...
                          X