One name research

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One name research

After spending several years on my research, I was considering concentrating on my paternal line. Are there any specific sites which concentrate/have information regarding one name searches please?
    Jen

Researching: Brandon.London/M/cr. Tyson.France/Mcr.

Have a look here and see if it has already been done http://www.one-name.org/ The only thing I would say is concerntrate on the name in a certain area first, I started doing it and was doing bits and bobs everywhere and got in a pickle and ended up deleting the whole lot.
    Jen

Comment

Oh and how common is the name?
      Jen

Comment

Probably not too common Jennie, it's Brandon........I was born & bred Manchester and was always under the impression I was Northerner until I started the research.

I have since discovered there appears to be hundreds of Brandon's here in London, where I am now. And so far I have got back to the early 18th century with them, but there are so many more and I don't know where/how they fit in. Also, it seems there was either a mistranscription of the name around 1750 or so, or perhaps the name was deliberately changed and I would like to try and find out. In 1720's and up to 1750's thereabouts, the name was spelt with a 'M' as in Brandom.....

I know there are also tons of Brandon's in America, though I haven't yet come across any connections there.

Thanks for the link BTW
        Last edited by Jen~Ealogy; 17-09-10, 21:02.
        Jen

Comment

the Guild Of One Name Studies (commonly known as GOONS). is probably the best place to start
          Julie
          They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Just had a look to get a rough estimate in England in 1881 there were 1494 Brandons so not as bad as one I was looking at. You are living in the right area to do the searching back past the census as well, I hope you have fun doing it and keep us up to date of how you are getting on.
            Jen

Comment

I've had a good look at the site Jennie, there's quite a bit of information re names, things I didn't know about before, so it's obviously a good place to start. I will need to get all my info together then I can register and see how others have gone about putting their info up. I was interested in finding out why the name ended with a 'm' instead of a 'n' initially, but from what I can make out it was probably more to do with being a regional thing.
              I'm quite excited about it now but I'm hoping it doesn't fizzle out lol! If I do make any progress, I will be sure to let you know.
              I knew there were lots of Brandon's in the States......and Canada, but was shocked to discover how many.
              I'm still coming to terms with the knowledge that my lot originated mainly from the London area, considering where I was born......I never had an incling. And I'm sure my parents were not aware of that fact either.
              Jen

Comment

Working...
              X