Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Confirmation on marriage details please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confirmation on marriage details please.

According to Dorset OPC on 31 Jan 1795 in Swyre, John Northover married Ann Roper, widow of Broadwey. I have found 8 trees on Ancestry with Ann Roper, and 7 of these trees have her with Roper as her maiden name, and give parents for her. Surely Roper would have been her first husbands name?

Linda
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

perhaps the tree owners didnt know she was a widow? have you had a look for her previous husbands death? I would think though that the first suggestion is what has happened though, (that they didnt know that she was a widow)
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Thanks Julie - I think one person made a guess and it has been copied to other trees - the dob for the child to the listed parents is 10 years out. I've tried searching for a marriage for Roper to Ann someone - the closest I can find is one in 1790, (Joseph Roper to Ann Churchill) but I cannot find a convenient death!

Linda
      Linda

Comment

do you know how old ann was? or have a rough idea when she was born? have you got her on any census?

edit: I can also see that marriage on LDS pilot site, seems a likely match, have you looked for a Joseph death?
        Julie

Comment

The other trees give a birth date for Ann of ca 1770 (I think that was saying approx 25 on marriage) and in Swyre, Dorset (where her 2nd husband came from). I can find no entry for any Ann born in Swyre around 1770. I found an entry for Anne Churchil born 1760 in Toller Fratrum on the IGI ,(Within the local area), who might be a possibility, but not sure on Joseph yet - no death anywhere for a Joseph Roper in Dorset between 1790-1800. Anne died sometime around 1808 - last child born in 1807, Robert Northover remarried in 1810, so she is not on any census unfortunately. Unfortunately, I can't find Anne's death either.

Linda
          Linda

Comment

On FMP they have 2 possibles for a death for Joseph Roper, 1791 and 1795, source the NBI. I don't have access to FMP - would a library have a copy of the NBI for people to look at?

Linda
            Linda

Comment

does Robert state he is a widower when he remarries?
              Julie

Comment

Originally posted by ozgirl View Post
                On FMP they have 2 possibles for a death for Joseph Roper, 1791 and 1795, source the NBI. I don't have access to FMP - would a library have a copy of the NBI for people to look at?

Linda

I'm not sure, but give me a mo.
                Julie

Comment

No, Robert doesn't say he is widowed, but interestingly, it appears that both times it was a shotgun wedding - Ann had a son a month before they married, who wasn't baptised until after the wedding, and wife no 2, Elizabeth had a son 3 months after the wedding. Robert and Elizabeth are both alive on the 1841 and 1851 censuses, and Elizabeth on the 1861. Roberts age definitely corresponds to the one who married Ann. (Born in 1772, no other Robert Northover in the village until his son)

Linda
                  Linda

Comment

Following on from Ozgirl's post

From NBI
                    Joseph Roper
                    Burial: 30 Aug 1791
                    Place of burial: St Basil Toller Fratrum Dorset

No other info.
                    Avatar....My darling mum, Irene June Robinson nee Pearson 1931-2019.

'Take nothing on its looks, take everything on evidence. There is no better rule' Charles Dickens, Great Expectations.

Comment

Thanks Chris, it all seems to be centering on Toller Fratrum now. Unfortunately that is one of the few parishes in Dorset that hasn't been transcribed by Dorset-opc.

Linda
                      Linda

Comment

hmmn,

if you have used 'Hugh Wallis' site, they do have some bapts for Toller Fratrum. and there is an Anne Churchill on it, and also alot of other churchills.

Julie

Comment

there are some members of this site that are offering lookups click the link below:

scroll down and then click on the member name to send a Pm with your request :D
                          Julie

Comment

Working...
                          X