• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lookup request Harry Manley

Manley, Harry born about 1864 Middlewich Cheshire, F: Edwin Manley
    Spouse: Edith Elizabeth Walters
    Married: 4 October 1884 Sale Cheshire

I am hoping that possibly on 1901 Cenusus, there could be at least 4 children

Thank you anyone to anyoine who can help!
    Cheran

This looks like them in 1901

Members: Name Age
    Harry Manley 37
    Edith E Manley 38
    Kate Manley 15
    Tom L Manley 11
    Agnes M Manley 7
    Albert M Munley 2
    Evelyn Walters 9...niece
    Last edited by maggie; 17-09-10, 09:55.

Comment

Hi Cheran - not able to help with 1901, but it looks like they're showing in 1911 - Edith Elizabeth aged 47, born 1864, and there is also a Harry born the same year, in West Derby, Lancs. There's a chance one or more of the children, if they survived, could still be at home as some of the names that Maggie mentioned also show in West Derby.
      Last edited by naomiatt; 17-09-10, 09:56.

Comment

Many thanks to Maggie and Naomiatt.... A great help

I wonder if it is possible to find the Birth Places and the actual address from the census?
        Cheran

Comment

I wonder if it is possible to find anything re Harry's brother William,

William was born about 1861 Middlewich Cheshire....
          The info I have is he married a Louisa/Florence Clarke born in Wheelock but the date given is about August 1912 and given that Florence or Lousia was meant to have been born in 1862 they both would have been around 50.

They are meant to have had about 3 children,

Is it possible to check 1902/1911 Census.

I have found a marriage on FreeBMD in the 1912 but as I say, seems the would have been about 50 and well after the children are meant to have been born.
          Cheran

Comment

I think this may be the answer to your question:

Marriages Dec 1883
            LEWIS Harriet Congleton 8a 428
            Manley William Henry Congleton 8a 428

In 1901, William Henry (36, steel caster, born Middlewich) and Harriet (40, born Sandbach) are living in Monks Coppenhall, Cheshire, with their children John Thomas, Wm Henry, Ephraim, Mary Ellen, Alice, George and Annie Elizabeth.

Deaths Jun 1901
            Manley Harriet 40 Nantwich 8a 222

Marriages Sep 1912
            CLARKE Florence / Manley / Northwich 8a 699
            MANLEY William / Clarke / Northwich 8a 699

Comment

Hi - Looks like William and Florence may have had a daughter -
              Births Dec 1913
              Manley Eva F Clarke Northwich 8a 424
              An Ephraim Manly married a Dodd in March quarter, 1918, Nantwich.
              A William H Manly married Alice Hobson, Sept quarter, 1915, Nantwich
              Ancestry® helps you understand your genealogy. A family tree takes you back generations—the world's largest collection of online family history records makes it easy to trace your lineage.

Sorry, I don't subscribe to 1911 so you can see an address.
              Last edited by naomiatt; 20-09-10, 01:40.

Comment

Again, thanks for your help....

I still have ?'s though as I have a Florence Lizzie Manley born 1881 Northwich 8a 279 (I found her on Cheshire BDM in born in Winsford) which I believe Is William's daughter as well as a Harry and a Percy. and if William and Florence had a daughter (I know the names you have given me are correct but wonder if I have the correct person) in 1913 they would have both been in their 50's???

Would there be any record of a William Manley and Louisa perhaps on 1902 Census? with 3 children.

Sorry to be a pest but there are so many Manley's, I am finding it hard to pin point. This is the time I wished I lived in England and could go the records office and spend hours there.

I still confused with this one.
                Last edited by cheran; 20-09-10, 02:03.
                Cheran

Comment

Originally posted by cheran View Post
                  Again, thanks for your help....

I still have ?'s though as I have a Florence Lizzie Manley born 1881 Northwich 8a 279 (I found her on Cheshire BDM in born in Winsford) which I believe Is William's daughter as well as a Harry and a Percy. and if William and Florence had a daughter (I know the names you have given me are correct but wonder if I have the correct person) in 1913 they would have both been in their 50's???

Would there be any record of a William Manley and Louisa perhaps on 1902 Census? with 3 children.

Sorry to be a pest but there are so many Manley's, I am finding it hard to pin point. This is the time I wished I lived in England and could go the records office and spend hours there.

I still confused with this one.
                  I have found William on 1881 Census still at home with Father Edwin and Occupation is Cooper........ I have also found on 1891 Census with spouse Louisa but as I have only limited access, could I request a LookUp of this census.
                  Cheran

Comment

OK, got them now.

1891 census:

William Manley, 29, cooper, born Middlewich, Cheshire
                    Louisa Manley, 29, born Wheelock, Cheshire
                    Florence Manley, 10, born Over, Cheshire
                    Harry Manley 8, born Ashton under Lyne, Lancashire
                    Percy Manley 5, born Ashton under Lyne, Lancashire

livnig at 38 South Street, Ashton-under-Lyne, Lancs.

1901 census:

William Manley, 39, cooper - journeyman,
                    Louisa Manley, 39
                    Florence Manley, 20, dressmaker
                    Harry Manley, 18, joiner's apprentice
                    Percy Manley, 15, electrical engineer's apprentice

all living at 2 Dunham Street, Hulme, Manchester, same birthplaces as in 1891.

You can search for them on the 1911 census here:

Trace your ancestry and build a family tree by researching extensive birth records, census data, obituaries and more - over 5 billion records - start today!

Comment

1881 census:

Thomas Clarke 43
                      Mary Clarke 41
                      Louisa Manley, 20, daughter, married
                      Mary Jane Clarke 13
                      Margaret Ann Clarke 5
                      Sarah Emily Clarke 4
                      James Clarke 2
                      Alfred Clarke
                      Florence L. Hanley, 2 months, granddaughter

Living at 77 John Street, Over, Cheshire.

Edwin Manley 40
                      Mahala Manley 39
                      William Manley, 19, son, married, cooper's apprentice
                      Harry Manley 17
                      Walter Manley 14
                      Herbert Manley 10
                      Frank Manley 7
                      Phoebe Manley 5
                      Edwin Manley 3
                      Charlotte Manley 1

Living at High Town, Middlewich, Cheshire.

Goodness knows why they were living with their respective parents. Perhaps Louisa was just visiting her parents with the baby.
                      Last edited by Mary from Italy; 20-09-10, 03:44.

Comment

From FamilySearch Record Search:

Name: William Manley
                        Event Type: Marriage
                        Birth Date:
                        Christening Date:
                        Marriage Date: 26 Sep 1880
                        Banns Date:
                        Death Date:
                        Burial Date:
                        Event Date:
                        Birthplace:
                        Christening Place:
                        Marriage Place: St John, Over, Cheshire, England
                        Banns Place:
                        Death Place:
                        Burial Place:
                        Event Place:
                        Father's Name: Edwin Manley
                        Mother's Name:
                        Principal's Marital Status:
                        Principal's Residence: St. John, Over, Cheshire, England
                        Spouse's Name: Louisa Clarke
                        Spouse's Marital Status:
                        Spouse's Residence: St. John, Over, Cheshire, England
                        Spouse's Father: Thomas Clarke
                        Spouse's Mother:
                        Image Number: 33
                        Digital Folder Number: 4019021
                        Film Number: 2106343
                        Collection: England, Cheshire Parish Registers, 1538-2000

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

Comment

HI

I've sent Cheran a Private message with info relating to the 1911 census.
                          WendyP

Comment

(Mary's post #11)

I shgould think each was with their respective parents because William was still an apprentice. It was unusual for an apprentice to marry as he would still be on very low/no wages. Also, an apprentice needed his master's permission to marry, so maybe this was a secret marriage!

OC

Comment

1861 Edith Elizabeth Walters .... Altringham Trafford ALT/21/25 .....ooooh...she lied about her age...typical woman ...lol...
                              can`t see any other Edith Elizabeth around 1860 to 1865.....allan;)
                              babtised 19th May 1861
                              parents
                              Thomas Abraham and Louisa .....possible marriage in 1855 Thomas Walters to Louisa Perry in Manchester Collegiate/ now Manchester Cathedral...only Thomas Walters to a Louisa I can find...allan
                              Last edited by garstonite; 20-09-10, 09:56.
                              Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
                              oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
                              adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
                              merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
                              coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

I wonder if it is possible to find anything re Harry's brother William,

William was born about 1861 Middlewich Cheshire....
                                The info I have is he married a Louisa/Florence Clarke born in Wheelock but the date given is about August 1912 and given that Florence or Lousia was meant to have been born in 1862 they both would have been around 50.

They are meant to have had about 3 children,

Is it possible to check 1902/1911 Census.

I have found a marriage on FreeBMD in the 1912 but as I say, seems the would have been about 50 and well after the children are meant to have been born.
                                on www.cheshirebmd.org.uk William born 1861 Harry born 1864 both Middlewich...did they have a sister Martha Ann Manley b 1860 ?....allan
                                Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
                                oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
                                adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
                                merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
                                coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

Mary

Thanks so much for your help this is a great help as William occ: was a Cooper so think I have the correct William!.

I am worried Harry's information as he was meant to have been a schoolmaster but the occ: Freight Clerk doen't seem to fit.
                                  Cheran

Comment

Garstonite

I have William & Harry's parents as Edwin & Mahala (nee Perry) siblings Walter, Herbert, Frank, Phoebe, Edwin, Charlotte, Mahala..........I have all their christening dates except William's.
                                    I don't have a Martha Ann Manley as a sibling but have lots of Martha's in the research....I will probably find her as I complete my research though.

The next problem I have is Father Edwin's parents:

I have them as Samuel Manley and Charlotte Evans according to parish records married 6 October 1835......but the tree I have been asked that was sent from England from my daughter in laws rellies and I am trying to verify as I add to the FT has Edwin's mother as an Elizabeth Plant. (A Samuel Manley married Elizabeth Plant in 1837 in St Michael and All Angles, Middlewich)

I can find a marriage of a Samuel to both ladies but I can't find a record of an Edwin born in about 1840 Audlem Cheshire to an Elizabeth Plant but have found I what I believe is Christening 21 March 1841 Audlem Cheshire with mother Charlotte Evans.

Any Advice would be of great help!!!!!
                                    Last edited by cheran; 20-09-10, 23:04.
                                    Cheran

Comment

I am worried Harry's information as he was meant to have been a schoolmaster but the occ: Freight Clerk doen't seem to fit.
                                      Where did you find that occupation?

Harry's occupation in the censuses:
                                      1881: pupil teacher, national schools
                                      1891: schoolmaster
                                      1901: dock porter

A change of occupation from schoolmaster to clerk wouldn't necessarily be surprising, but a dock porter's a bit of a comedown. I wonder what happened?

It's definitely the same family; the ages, children's names and birthplaces all match, and in 1901, there's a 9-year-old niece called Evelyn Walters living with Harry and family.

Comment

Thanks to everyone

Sorry

I replied to a couple of posts before I found all your good work Mary....It is so good to to solve William & Louisa's puzzle...... All I need to complete this is to work out if it is their daughter Florence Lizzie who married in in 1912!

Thnks to all for the help so far!

Cheran
                                        Cheran

Comment

Working...
                                        X