Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RUSSELL family - Bradford near Manchester.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RUSSELL family - Bradford near Manchester.

Hi,
    I'm searching for the RUSSELL family last found on the 1881 census RG11/4016. Address 58 Elliott St, Bradford, near Manchester. The family consisted of Patrick/James Russell father, Esther Russell mother, Anne Elizabeth Russell daughter, Mary Russell daughter, Amelia Russell daughter and Emily Russell daughter. I've searched for them in the 1891 and 1901 censuses but I can't find any trace of them. They originally came from St. Helens, Lancashire before moving to New Jersey, USA then they returned to this country and settled in Bradford. The other thing was that Patrick seemed to change his name to James when he returned from USA. I'd be grateful for any help finding this family.
    Thanks
    Eileen

I saw that you have some other posts and one mentioned Emily Russell born around 1881 in the UK - there is an Emily reg March quarter, 1881, in Prestwich 8d 385 -
    with Ann born in St Helens around 1869 and Mary and Amelia born in the US around 1875/76.
    Are you positive they didn't go back to the US after April, 1881..
    have you found anything that could fit in http://www.yorkshirebmd.org.uk/
    e.g there's RUSSELL Emily Bradford East but for 1885
    there's also http://www.lancashirebmd.org.uk/
    Last edited by naomiatt; 17-09-10, 00:34.

Comment

Hiya Bridger...and welcome to FTF
      the marriage of Patrick Russell to Esther Day is on both www.freebmd.org.uk and www.lancashirebmd.org.uk
      they married in sep qtr 1867 ...they married in either Prescot Register office or Registrar attended (probably Catholic Church)
      allan
      Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
      oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
      adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
      merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
      coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

Patrick Russell b mar qtr 1846 Liverpool on freebmd....for the record Prescot is now part of Liverpool...it covered St Helens / Widnes /Prescot /Farnworth /Hale /Halewood areas of the edge of Liverpool...
        It doesn`t look like Esther Day was from the area ...can`t find a birth locally for her....allan
        Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
        oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
        adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
        merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
        coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

Thanks for replying
          Patrick Russell was born in Ireland(according to 1871 and 1881 censuses) He calls himself Patrick on the 1871 and James on the 1881 censuses. He married Esther Day (Also born in Ireland) on September 22nd 1867 at St. Annes Church, Sutton, St. Helens, Lancashire. They settled in St. Helens and had a daughter Ann Elizabeth, September 1868. Then I found them on the IGI living in Tenafly, Bergen, New Jersey where they had 2 more daughters Mary and Amelia born 1873 and 1875 (baptised at Our Lady of Mount Carmel Church, Tenafly, Bergen, New Jersey) I contacted the church and they were kind enough to reply and said their records didn't go back that far. Anyway they must have returned to England and I found them on the 1881 census living in Elliot St, Bradford, Lancashire but Patrick was now "James" and that's when they had Emily ( 2months old on 1881 census) As I can't find them on any census after that you may be right and they returned to America. I may have to start searching shipping records.

Thanks again to everyone

Comment

Hi - what was Patrick/James occupation? That might provide a clue.

Comment

Here goes:-
              In 1867 when he got married he was a Labourer. In 1868 according to 1st child's birth certificate he was a Glass Labourer. 1871 census states he was a "Road man for Corporation" and on the 1881 census in Bradford he was down as a Labourer. Looks like they might have come into a bit of money by the time they got to Bradford as Esther is down as a Shopkeeper and for the first time Esther states that she came from Queens County, Ireland. But I'm not sure because if the Census taker had asked where she came from she may have thought he meant where did she leave Ireland from, but she may be right. But up to now I haven't found any Esther Day's in Queens County.

Comment

Hi - I wonder what took them to America and back again. Have you looked in the London Gazette for any of the addresses you have - http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/hom...geotype=London or googled the addresses generally, both for the US and UK.
                They can often provide clues as can historical directories e.g http://www.historicaldirectories.org/hd/

Comment

Working...
                X