Help finding WW1 service record please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help finding WW1 service record please

Can anyone with access to A***** please lookup a George Wilson born 1880 Gorton, Manchester,Lancashire

He was in the RFA or RA in the 14-18 war

Thank you
    Last edited by christine in yorkshire; 16-09-10, 22:46. Reason: used site name in request - sorry

did he survive ? as there is a death for a george Wilson living in Gorton lancs died in 1915 he was a Rifleman

Comment

Hi Val

Yes he survived.

His full name was George Frederick but on the only medal I have it says G Wilson

Comment

there are quite a few George Wilsons will have another look you dont have his army number or anything do you ?

Comment

you dont happen to know his occupation do you ???

Comment

Hi again Val - sorry I should have added those details before - I am having another senior moment day!

the number on the medal is R.A. 24256 DVR which I am taking to be a driver as he was in the horse artillery I believe

In civilian life prior to the military he was a (hansom) cab driver
            Last edited by christine in yorkshire; 16-09-10, 23:11.

Comment

might have to go soon so will try again tomorrow

Comment

found them whats your email address

Comment

Wow thanks Val I will pm you

Comment

Val you are a star - thank you so much. I have pm'd you

Comment

Christine - which medal is it that you have - if he wasn't in the Army pre war he was a fairly early recruit - as well as the British War Medal and Victory Medal that most combatants were awarded he was also awarded the 1914 - 15 Star and his entry into a theatre of war is recorded as being 2B Balkans - 25/4/1915 - which of course was the first day of the Gallipoli landings.

This info is from his medal card - he does appear to have a lengthy record available also - might be worth a trip to the library if you want to get copies of all the pages - but I'll have a look through - he joined up in Manchester 4th September 1914 - so certainly an eager man at 32 - and lucky to have come through it

He is recorded as being with Royal Field Artillery - some info here - www dot 1914-1918.net/rfa_units.htm

Background medal info here - http://nationalarchives.gov.uk/docum...%20-%20%C2%A32

Cheers
                      Sue

Comment

Looks like Val is sending them all to you - looks to be 36 images so hope they all come through

Cheers
                        Sue

Comment

Thanks so much Sue - I really appreciate your help and I think I owe Val a very large glass (ore several) of wine!
                          Thank you for the links - I will investigate them

Oh nearly forgot - the one medal that I have is the British war medal - the others seem not to have survived family moves unfortunately
                          Last edited by christine in yorkshire; 17-09-10, 00:05.

Comment

:DTo Val

Thank you, thank you, thank you x

Comment

Working...
                            X