Can someone help me please to order a will

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can someone help me please to order a will

I have found an entry on A*****y which gives a date of 27 September 1869, dod 25 march 1869. Proved Lincoln. Is this enough info to order a copy of the will? I was a bit confused by HM site about grant dates etc.

Should I be writing to Postal Searches and Copies Department, York Probate Sub-Registry, 1st Floor, Castle Chambers, Clifford Street, York YO1 9RG
    asking for a search?

Or writing to First Avenue House requesting a copy?

Advise desperately needed because I am very excited about this search.

many thanks
    Jules

I'anson of Lincolnshire and Yorkshire. Bannister of Lincolnshire. Burnett of Northumberland. Carter of Sussex and Hampshire. Goldring of Sussex and Hampshire. Fitzgerald of Goodness knows where. Smith of Yorkshire and Lincolnshire. Dixon of Lincolnshire. Payne of Hampshire

I usually write to my local Probate office and give the date of death and date and place of probate granted and that seems enough, they are also very quick which I think York are not.
    You could ring your local Probate Office and ask if they will get it for you.
    Margaret

Comment

Thanks Margaret, I will try to find out where my local one is.
      Jules

I'anson of Lincolnshire and Yorkshire. Bannister of Lincolnshire. Burnett of Northumberland. Carter of Sussex and Hampshire. Goldring of Sussex and Hampshire. Fitzgerald of Goodness knows where. Smith of Yorkshire and Lincolnshire. Dixon of Lincolnshire. Payne of Hampshire

Comment

Just google probate and it should come up under HM Courts Service then you click through to find your local office.
        Margaret

Comment

Have a look on this site http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/i...registries.htm

Comment

thanks again, you have been a big help. it's the first time I've ordered copies of wills as you can probably tell lol
            Jules

Comment

Whenever I order a will from York I just copy the main part (dates, name, date of death etc) from the Probate Calendar as a 'paragraph'. I just ask for a copy of the will quoted below .....

Its always worked so far. I got a cracker recently which solved a big brickwall! I hadn't found it before because it went to probate 17 years after the death!

Anne

Comment

Wow, Anne! there must have been some serious issues to take so long for probate to go through but I bet the will made interesting reading when you got it.
                Margaret

Comment

Oh yes! It was only a short will but it mentioned a wife we didn't know he had and a brother which proved to me which person (of 2 possibles) my gg grandfather was. I suspect the delay was because of the wife (a 2nd marriage which I have not yet found) They may have waited until she died to sort out the will on the basis that it was easier to do nothing than do a battle!

Anne

Comment

Working...
                  X