new zealand certifcates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new zealand certifcates

hi all i was wondering if anyone has had any luck getting certs that are within the 100 year rule?
    my friend is from new zealand, and in order to do and confirm parts of her tree, she needs certs that arnt online, for great grandparents births and marriages.
    i was wondering if we gave them death cert info, if they would let her order them?

What sort of date?
    When I asked on another forum about a possible NZ marriage after 1949, I was told that someone had a disc with marriages up to 1956.

Comment

No, you cant. I was born on NZ and never had a proper BC, on which my name was spelled incorrectly. I decided to order the actual and lo and behold that's spelled incorrectly as well. ( No big matter) BUT I did ask the lady if I could order my grandparents death certs and the answer was definitely...NO!...I think it's the same in Australia ( where I now live )...Its just too hard basket...and extremely expensive...My Own cert cost $26NZ..which is a lot more than 9 pounds! ( I think? at least it was until abt 3 days ago when Aussie dollar went up)
      Be nice to your kids...they have to choose your nursing home!

Comment

Hi - this is the current span for certs -
        •Births that occurred at least 100 years ago
        •Stillbirths that occurred at least 50 years ago
        •Marriages and eventually civil unions that occurred at least 80 years ago
        •Deaths that occurred at least 50 years ago, or the deceased's date of birth was at least 80 years ago

would her ggp's have married more than 80 years ago?

Comment

It must be possible for some of these?
          I have in front of me a certificate for a NZ marriage which took place in 1943, forwarded by e mail from someone in NZ.
          The certificate is hand stamped to show that it was issued / ordered in 2001.
          We were hoping to compare the signature with another source to prove it was the same person, so I contacted the named church. I was told where the records are now kept and my NZ contact was able to receive a scanned copy of the original on the following day.

Comment

Kylejustin - does your friend know where they were in NZ?
            Has she found anything in paperspast? http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/cgi-bin/paperspast

Comment

my friend is having trouble, because to get started you need to get immediate family certs- parents, grandparents, great grandparents, before you can really prove anything. so far, she has had 3 great grandparents alive in her lifetime, all now dead, one possibly still alive, and the other 4 so far are untraceable.

most of her great grandparents were born 1910-1920, and they married 1940 ish. now, these events wont be online because of the rules. but, if my friend can prove that they are dead, with the death certs, could she get the birth certs from around 1920? and if both parties are dead, could she get the marriage? if she emailed the registrar with this info?

i know it's possible to get certs not available with the rules in victoria. my grandfather's birth is restricted because of the 100 year rule, but i when i ordered it, i explained to the lady that he died, and she pulled the death cert and sent that off in my application. so i was able to get his birth cert.

Comment

Your friend can but try, a postage stamp or two, or even an email has got to be worth the official ask. I'd say go for it.
                WendyP

Comment

thanx wendy shes not into it as heavily as i am, but she wants to gets it right!

Comment

Hi - did she/you look in paperspast?

Comment

Working...
                    X