Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NSW Convicts

Hi There
    I am trying to find some more info on a Charles Farebrother who was convicted at Newington London in 1837, he was transported on the Asia to NSW and arrived there on 2/12/1837, i have no further info.
    Any help on this one please would be great.
    Regards Alan.

Can't help with info about Charles at present but by coincidence my gt gt grandmother's first husband, Edward Goodenough was transported on that same voyage of the Asia V, having been convicted in Berkshire of sheep stealing. He went on to gain his ticket of leave in the district of Goulbourn in 1846 and a free pardon in 1850 and made his fortune gold mining in Braidwood district before becoming a respected grazier/freeholder. He died at Araluen NSW in 1884. Are you searching for info on Charles before he left England or after he arrived in NSW? I wonder if his and my Edward's lives crossed at all in NSW
    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Alan.....are you looking for further back info or forward??

Do you know when and where Charles was born??

Comment

Hi Judith
        I am putting all the loose ends of my tree together and he is one of them just got his baptism in 1819 and then nothing else,he would have been only 20 or 21 years old I don't even know what he was convicted of. Alan.

Comment

You might find something from this.
          .http://onesearch.slq.qld.gov.au/prim...25982&submit2= Go &indx=1&vid=FamHis&scp.scps=scope%3A(IC)&dscnt= 0

Interestingly....

http://onesearch.slq.qld.gov.au/prim...indx=1&submit2= Go &scp.scps=scope%3A(IC)

Comment

Hi Harrys Mum
            My Charles was born in Middlesex London in 1818 then no more info on him he dissappeared before the 1841 census.

Comment

Have a look at this NSW BMD site. I couldn't find a Charles Farebrother but a there's a couple of references to Charles Fairbrother. A marriage in the 1860s seemed a little late and an 1838 death of a 21 year old sadly looks likely to be your man.

Comment

Ancestry have the record of Charles' conviction. He was 20, could not read or write, was convicted at the County Sessions on 6th February 1837, of sheep stealing, sentenced to transportation for life. If you don't have access I have saved an image of the page. Send me a private message with your email address if you would like me to email it to you.

Comment

Thank you Judith it was a cruel world back then, you didn't have to do much to get removed from society, maybe we should be a little
                  harder now but not to the extent they were then.
                  Many Thanks For Image.
                  Alan.

Comment

Hi Harry's Mum
                    Looks like you and Judith have sorted Charles short life, he sure did pay for his crime, shipped halfway across the world to be buried in a strange place.
                    Many Thanks.
                    Alan.

Comment

A convict would normally be given a ticket of leave after a year or two, then a conditional or final pardon after 15 years, but he doesn't appear on any of the online ticket of leave or pardon databases, or the convict musters, so I should think that 1838 death is likely to be him.

Comment

Working...
                      X