deceased service personnel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• deceased service personnel

my parents divorced when I was 5, he remarried in 1976, died in 1985. his 2nd wife is still living. I had no contact with him but would like to obtain his army records, he was is Malaya in the 50's. Can I send for his records? I've looked on the site here, would I apply as not the immediate next of kin and without the consent of immediate next of kin or are the immediate next of kin or who are applying without the next of kins consent ? thanks

I don't have enough experience to be certain - but I believe that the forms would make it pretty clear whether or not you were eligible to receive them. I suspect that you might have problems, though, because of the intervening divorce, and the living widow.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I applied for both my granda's records, my parents are still alive so I got them to sign letters giving me permission to access them.
      Jay

Comment

ok, thanks for answering,
        Jay,somehow don't think his 2nd wife will be signing letters for access lol

Comment

did they divorce after his army service ?if they did they wont know will they ? Just send his death cert and proof he is your dad, and I think you will be okay.

Comment

Send a copy of his death certificate and of your birth certificate, and marriage one if you are married. Don't mention anyone else.
            Good luck!
            Joy

Comment

When I applied for my Dad's record all I had to send was his death cert and tick the box that said 'daughter' nothing else was required apart of course the £30 fee!
              Margaret

Comment

great, it looks promising then, will get things together and send for it. thanks all

Comment

I am in the process of doing this at the moment, there are various rules around deceased service personnel, when they died and who was their next of kin at that time. It starts with their partner, then oldest child and so on. If they divorced before he died then that could make you next of kin.
                  For definitive guidance and forms go to the MOD website homepage, then select researchers, then service records of deceased service personnel all the info and forms are there.
                  Depending on your next of kin status you may have to pay a £30 which is non-returnable if teh search draws a blank.

Good luck.
                  Life's a journey not a destination.

Currently researching: Makey (Kent), Heath & Neil (London & Devon), Pegg (Norfolk & Suffolk), Gulliford (Cornwall).... Still busy busy!

Comment

The only people exempt for the £30 fee are widows/widowers of deceased service personnel.
                    Jay

Comment

thanks for the info andymac, will have a look and see what it says

Comment

We received a letter today, thanking us for our enquiry, and informing us that due to a high number of welfare requests there will be a significant delay in completing our search....

Disappointing but at least they have let us know. Our's is an army search, so I don't know if the other services are affected in the same way. I will keep everyone posted on progress when we hear something more positive.

Currently researching: Makey (Kent), Heath & Neil (London & Devon), Pegg (Norfolk & Suffolk), Gulliford (Cornwall).... Still busy busy!

Comment

Andy I think you will find they always say that ?? I got the same letter each time but the longest we waited was about 4 weeks, I got one lot in 2 weeks.

Comment

Oooh that's good news :-)

Comment

I received a similar letter Andy, and waited about 4 or 5 months until the envelope dropped through the letter box .... so don't get too excited!
                              Elaine

Comment

did you Elaine ??? you must have been unlucky then?

Comment

I got the same letter when I applied Nov/Dec 2008. Think I was about a month's wait in all.
                                  Jay

Comment

Well it arrived a week or so ago, but some of it is very hard to understand, the copy quality is very poor.

Comment

I am now in mid de-code of all the abbreviations, it is an interesting journey finding out about someone I knew so well. Does anyone know where I can find a list of Ministry of Labour employment catagories and work codes?

Comment

If of any help,here is the link for applying for service records .

Get military records of service for the Royal Navy (including Royal Marines), British Army and Royal Air Force - who can apply, how long it takes, cost, how to apply.

Comment

Working...
                                        X