Wills and inheritance ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wills and inheritance ?

Does anyone know anything about inheritance ?
    My husband`s Aunt died some years ago,she didn`t own property but promised us a few `bits and pieces`.We didn`t hear anything after her death. A couple of years ago we decided to obtain her will and we were told that she didn`t leave one but her Brother left her a few thousand pounds a couple of years before although maybe she spent that.
    Now,my husband was her closest relative so even supposing she had no money,what would happen to all her possesions ?
    Does anyone know ?

Thank you

Having read the notes on Probate,it appears that if the estate is under a certain value there may be a will but it wouldn`t need to go to probate.If this is the case,how do I find out the details ? has anyone any idea

Comment

Perhaps you need to find out who reported her death and they may be able to say what happened. Having watched the Heir Hunters programme it looks as though the local authority would be responsible for dealing with a person's effects after death and for finding the next of kin.
      Margaret

Comment

Was this in England? Assuming it was, there are strict rules about who inherits an estate if someone dies intestate, which would include personal possessions.

When you say you were told that she didn't leave a will, did you apply to the Probate Registry or were you just told this by someone? Even if there was no will, if the estate was valued at more than a certain figure (currently I believe its £5000) then someone would have to apply for Letters of Administration and they would be with the Probate Registry. In theory, the value of her possession would be included in this figure.

In most cases I would think that whoever arranged her funeral would also deal with this, but don't forget that the funeral itself could have cost several thousands of pounds.
        Jackie

Comment

Thank you.Yes,it was in the UK and I have the letter from the Probate office.My husband phoned them at the time and they said that they could do no more.
          I think I need to get the Death certificate as you say.We have a suspicion that a half blood relative is behind all this but he has died as well now.

Comment

Originally posted by LynSpain View Post
            Does anyone know anything about inheritance ?
            My husband`s Aunt died some years ago,she didn`t own property but promised us a few `bits and pieces`.We didn`t hear anything after her death. A couple of years ago we decided to obtain her will and we were told that she didn`t leave one but her Brother left her a few thousand pounds a couple of years before although maybe she spent that.
            Now,my husband was her closest relative so even supposing she had no money,what would happen to all her possesions ?
            Does anyone know ?

Thank you
            Do you mean you weren't informed of her death? In which case I would be worried that someone had disposed of things without regard to your aunt's wishes or the law. But if you mean you knew of her death but left it to others to sort out her funeral and estate then there are probably no grounds to be suspicious. If over a certain value letters of admin. would need to be obtained, if only to access bank accounts. You say the probate office have no records so the estate must have been under the limit and any items of value may well have needed to be sold to pay for the funeral which, even if only basic, would not have been cheap.
            Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

I have requested her Death cert now.We knew of her death and my husband went to her funeral with his Mother.This half blood rellie took over everything and we suspect that he prevented us several times from seeing her.
              He is dead now but we just want to know what happened to any family items or paperwork.
              I have emailed this man`s son but he doesn`t reply !!
              it is very sad because my husband was born when his Father ( his Sister was my hubby`s Aunt in question ) was 50 and I am trying to find out more about the family

Comment

Lyn
                I hope you find some answers.
                We have been in a similar situation and paid costly bills to solicitors trying to sort things out.
                I would so love to know what happened to all the family photos and hand-sewn items from her home. They were of no monetry value, but of great sentimental importance as she was the last surviving sibling.

Comment

Thank you Gwyn.I have been in touch with the cemetery and they immediately replied with the details of the applicant and the funeral directors.I have emailed the funeral directors to ask of any paperwork they may have regarding solicitors.
                  I think at this point we should assume that she did leave a will which was under the required amount for probate and was legal but I suspect that we will never find out !
                  If anyone else has any suggestions of how to find out about a will that doesn`t go to probate,I would be most grateful.

Comment

I can't think of a way of finding out about a will which didn't go to probate but I do hope you find some answers - perhaps another try at contacting the chap's son would be worthwhile? He may have been reluctant to reply if he had a suspicion that his dad hadn't dealt with things properly, or if he feared that you were going question how things were done. Perhaps he would be receptive to a request for any info he has about your OHs family, or family photos if you can reassure him you're not searching for the family fortune! A couple of years ago a maiden aunt died. She had lived in rented rooms in another aunt's house and when we went to sort her belongings my cousin thought we had found nothing of value. I knew different: there may have been no jewelry etc but my grandparent's original marriage certificate was in a box with some other papers - gold dust to me
                    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

I know Judith,that is just the sort of family things I want.My husband never knew his grandparents and slowly I am piecing together his history bit by bit.It has taken me 8 years so far,living in Spain is more difficult to discover things.
                      I know that the half blood son has been on Ancestry and other websites so you think he would respond even if it is to say that he doesn`t know anything.I won`t give up easily !

Comment

Lyn
                        When we were trying to sort out problems before and after my aunt's death ( my father's sister ) we were advised that any paperwork formed part of her estate. If your father was the closest blood relative, he should have been entitled to at least know where things went.
                        It sounds very much as if someone over stepped the mark there.

Someone tried to stop messages and mail getting to our aunt, but in our case it was someone who 'befriended' her. It's a horrible situation which we didn't realise at first, putting lack of communication from our aunt down to her advancing years.

I hope you get some answers.

Comment

Working...
                        X