ethnicity???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ethnicity???

how do you know which race you are from?

who chooses whether you are classed as chinese or english if you have a parent of each race?

if you live in england are you classed as chinese but in china you would be classed as english?

worse still what if you have a Half chinese parent and an english parent?

does it go by your surname?
    the meercat.

I think it might depend on where you were born, my daughter is classed as Australian, as she was born out here, but my boys are English.
    Sylvia

Derbyshire :- Gough, Tomlinson, Fletcher, Shipley, Spencer, Calladine, Rogers, Kerry, Robotham
    Leicestershire:- Gough, Cooper, Underwood, Hearn, Inglehearn
    Staffordshire:- Robotham, Hickinbotham, Hill, Holmes

Comment

Ethnicity is what you say you consider yourself to be, no one can do a classification for you and if they do they are likely to get it wrong! If you are of mixed race then you can classify yourself as that.
      The definition of your citizenship eg British, is related to civil/legal definitions depending on where you were born and often how your parents are defined as in that country. (I think)
      Margaret

Comment

Aren't ethnicity and nationality two different things???

Jay
        Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
          Aren't ethnicity and nationality two different things???

Jay
          Yes, I believe you are right.
          Margaret

Comment

I believe Margaret is correct to say that ethnicity is a decision for you to make yourself. If you are of mixed race (different from nationality) the 'mix' can be a cocktail of any race. For example it would be easy to be one quarter Caucasion (sp?), one quarter black African, one quarter Chinese and one quarter Indian Asian. What race would you choose to be described as? What about your children if you married someone from yet another race?

Better to say we belong to the Human Race!!!

Anne

Comment

well its all odd to me.this is the story.
              a woman goes to put her childs name down for school and the school says she is chinese and put her down as chinese.
              the mother says no she is english.
              the school says no she is chinese.
              the mother says i am english and her dad is half english and half chinese so she is english.
              the school says no she must be put down as chinese.
              so chinese she is.
              the meercat.

Comment

I have seen the phrase "mixed heritage" for children who have parents of different races. But most forms you fill in ask you to pick one of a list of things, no one decides for you.

Whether or not you have British Citizenship is something the authorities would decide though, depending on your circumstances.

No one would make decisions based on surnames - they aren't necessarily a reliable indicator of your ancestry, though of course they can be. You can actually choose to have any surname you fancy.
                ~ with love from Little Nell~
                Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Our posts crossed Meercat. I think that sounds odd. The child is only a quarter Chinese regarding ethnicity and if s/he has a British passport then s/he is British.
                  ~ with love from Little Nell~
                  Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

hi nell,
                    her mum was born in england and so was her dad.
                    how can the school make that decision?
                    the mum thought it wasnt worth making a big deal over.
                    the meercat.

Comment

As Margaret said earlier, it's the person's decision to declare their ethnicity. heavy-handed "ignorance" from the school at this early stage doesn't bode well for the future.
                      Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

An ethnic group is a group of people who identify with one another through race, culture, language, economics, religion or politics etc.

It may involve citizenship but does not have to, it may involve nationality but does not have to, it may involve heritage but does not have to.

It is all about how people identify with each other.
                        Cheers
                        Guy
                        Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

It probably ticks some box to have the child declared as Chinese. I assume she has physically Chinese characteristics.

Some lofty poo-bah will no doubt ensure that she is taught about her ethnicity. If it wasn't so stupid, it would be funny.

OC

Comment

she is blonde haired with blue eyes like her mum.
                            i thought it gave the school better statistics thats why they pushed it.i always thought it was a personal choice.
                            i thought there might of been rules but from the replies it seems its just the schools lofty poo-bah.

thank you for your replies.
                            the meercat.

Comment

There's some guidance for schools here which were brought in when ethnicity data collection started. Although some things may have changed with the change of Government, I can't imagine that this has altered very much

The relevant parts say

"Schools must accept the responses provided by parents or pupils. A pupil's ethnicity is personal to that pupil and the individual's decision should not be questioned.......Those with parental responsibility for the pupil, and the pupil (the data subject) have the right to see their personal files, including the ethnic background data held by the school on the individual. They also have the right to have this data amended or deleted."

I agree with those above - if the school can be so dictatorial about this, how will they be about other matters.
                              Jackie

Comment

What a load of codswallop! - not what you said, Meercat, I hasten to add
                                Joy

Comment

I should have thought - as the replies above seem to suggest - that the school has grossly overstepped the mark, and their behaviour is certainly worthy of question - if not of being reported.

Christine
                                  Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I'm a bit puzzled then, if the little girl is blonde and blue-eyed, how the word Chinese ever crept into the equation? Mum must have mentioned it, surely, as it isn't the first question anyone ever asks anyone else "Do you have Chinese ethnicity?" is it?

OC

Comment

As the Meercat asked in her first post if ethnicity was down to surname, and the little girl's dad is half chinese I'm guessing the school were looking at a chinese surname? But whatever their reason they were way out of order and should be made to amend the record to reflect the parents wishes.
                                      Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Oh, durh, sorry! I'll go back to sleep.

OC

Comment

Working...
                                        X