Ellis Island

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ellis Island

I am looking for information on my grandfather as my grand son needs it fora project in school. He was born near Naples Italy, his name was Joseph Finizio, he came through Ellis Island with my grandmother.I'm assuming in the very late 1800 or early 1900. I don't have a clue as to where to look or what to do. Help

Welcome again to FTF.

You can search for free on the Ellis Island website - there are quite a few Finizio entries but I cannot see one for a Joseph.

What was the name of your grandmother.
    Do you have any idea of their year of birth and place of residence in Italy.
    Did they have any children at the time, in which case names would be helpful.

Can you give us an idea of where they lived in America as its possible that someone with an Ancestry world subscription will be able to find them on the census records for you, some of which give a year of immigration.
    Elaine

Comment

He may have arrived using the Italian version of his name Giuseppe Finizio. There are 5 entries at ellisisland.org all arriving between 1910 and 1922. If he is not one of them you may need to try some spelling variations. Familysearch comes up with some 1920 census records - see http://search.labs.familysearch.org/...venName=joseph

Comment

Also take a look at castlegarden.org They had on Giuseppe Finizio in 1904 and 55 Finizios between 1880 and 1913. Try various name spellings (and he may just go under the name G. ) as there's lots of recording and transcription error possibilities. Also, if you know any family members that travelled with him, put those names in too, not forgetting they may have travelled at a different time

Comment

And keep an eye on the family search pilot site - don't have link to hand, but it's on the list of search options on the main site - because they keep adding new material, and I think I saw some Italian records listed last time I looked.

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
          X