Close House School, Shepton Mallet, Somerset

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Close House School, Shepton Mallet, Somerset

This small school appears in (at least) 1861, 1871, 1881 and 1901 Censuses run/owned by John WELCH (bc1825, Pilton), Emma Welch (wife) and Annie K Welch (bc1856, Yeovil). At least three of the pupils (at different times) named Welch are related to me. I can't find any link between the two Welch groups, and it would need to be at least as remote as first cousin and more likely more remote than that. It would be an odd coincidence if the only link was a common surname, so......

'My' Welches are firmly in the Ditcheat/Pilton area and a few villages nearby.

I haven't found a connection between the John and Annie, either!

I have found some info on each of them, mainly though the censuses, but both names are common enough in the area to justify caution:

John Henry Welch (sometimes just Henry) bc 1825 Pilton, Somerset married
    Emma K Minifie(!) bc1829 Sherborne, Dorset at Sherborne 1851q4
    She was the daughter of George Minifie bc1799, a Draper of Sherborne.
    In 1851 they are living (apart) in Sherborne, 1861 and 1871 together at the school, where John is in 1881 but Emma is in Hampshire as a visitor. I haven't found them in 1841 and not looked post-1881. John is a Saddler throughout, Emma is a Milliner in 1851 then Schoolmistress (1861, 1871) then Principal of a Ladies College (same one, presumably!) in 1881. I do not find any indication of children for them.

Annie Kate Welch is in the following family (found in 1861 and 1871 censuses)
    William Welch bc1829 Handley, Dorset living in Yeovil, variously Wine and Spirit Merchant, Grocer and Chemist.
    Annie nee Caines bc1832 Chilton Cantelo, Somerset - married Yeovil District 1855q2
    There are 4 children (born 1856-1866) seen in these two censuses all bYeovil, of which Annie K is the oldest: Annie K, Henry E, Emma J, John M. The names could hint at a connection with John Henry and his wife, especially if they were indeed childless.
    The family is all together in Yeovil in 1861 and 1871 except for Annie in 1871 who is already at the school as a pupil. I have found her in 1881, 1901 and 1911. In the first two she is at the school, as Governess and Principal respectively, and in 1911 she has retired to Cheddar ("retired Principal of Ladies School"). She remained single throughout.

'My' Welches go back to
    John Welch c1800-1845 who is living in Pilton in 1841. There is also a Richard d1833 who I believe to be his brother.

Ditcheat/Pilton, Yeovil/Sherborne and [Sixpenny] Handley are some way away from one another, at least in pre-railway days, and the names are too common for easy identification. Any ideas? And the school, typical of small rural establishments: is there any documented history anywhere?

You could try the local Family History Society for any information they may have.

Comment

Margaret

Thanks for your response.

I did try them a while back but got no response, so got discouraged. I've got more detail since then, and I suppose I might have had an out-of-date email address (but not a 'dead' one as it didn't bounce back). Do you have a current one?

Comment

Working...
      X