Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Internet Explorer 8

HELP PLEASE!!!

I had something wrong with IE so I reset it, now I can't get on the internet as it says I have no add-ons

when I go to tools to fix this problem it says all the Add-Ons are enabled, HELP PLEASE, what have I done??

Joyce

I personally won't use IE I use Firefox. Sorry can't help.
    Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

thanks for replying Wendy, If I get IE to work I'm going to change to Firefox

Joyce

Comment

Googlechrome is a good one too , are you offline then?

Comment

Haven't used IE8 (or IE7 or IE6) but the usual approach would be something like Disable all the Add-Ons and then re-enable them. You might need to delete IE and re-install, but you should note all the settings you will want to reinstate first.
          Last edited by col48; 13-09-10, 17:36. Reason: had a senior moment going on about mail folders!

Comment

if I detete IE I wont be able to get on the internet at all col48, also all the add-ons are all enabled, thats what I don't understand, I am using another laptop to try and find a solution

joyce

Comment

can you get into your uninstall programmes ? if so uninstall IE8 it should leave you with IE7 or IE6 if thats what you had before ???
              It might solve the problem good luck

Comment

You could download firefox using the laptop you're on now and save it to a memory stick and then install it on the other computer.
                Christine in Portugal

Comment

I dont have a memory stick Christine, could I us a cd?

Val I have gone to uninstal programs, when I click on IE8 there is no button to un-install it

Joyce

Comment

thanks for the link Val, that guy has the exact same problem as me, all the add-ons ARE enabled, so it must be a known fault

Comment

I'm not sure because I don't use windows now, but would a system restore sort this problem out it you restore from a point before IE went wrong.

Linda
                      LindaG

Comment

If you put IE8 in your search box it should appear??

Comment

thats a good idea Linda try a restore Joy

Comment

Sorry for the delay in replying.

Yes you could download firefox to a cd.
                            Christine in Portugal

Comment

Restore... and Firefox

Yes, I would think a restore should do the trick.... but do backup anything created or changed since the restore - including emails - or you'll lose it.

If you can burn a CD on the alternate computer that should do just as well as a memory stick for storing Firefox.

Oh, dear. I'm sounding like an expert, which I'm not, really.

Comment

The suggestion to Disable Addons or even remove IE8 and reinstall (I must admit I assumed you had an installation file on CD or a backup somewhere) would be on the offchance that the undiagnosed root cause had actually disabled AddOns but not told IE8, so that it was in an inconsistent state. I should think a system restore would be the best bet. My guess is that fiddling with the registry might put it right but that is something which is high risk unless you know exactly what you are doing.

Comment

Joy123 - Can you just clarify - "I had a problem with IE8 so reset it". Can you let us know what your original problem wa and what did you do to reset it? What is your operating system?
                                  Linda - Happy Hunting

A tidy house is the sign of a broken computer

Researching: Brown, Bell, Key and Musgrave from Cumberland. Dodds, Green, Campbell, Hall, Armstrong, Davison from Co. Durham. Raymond from Devon/Cornwall.

Comment

Linda, I had some sort of virus, it took over everything, and kept flashing across the screen telling me I need to buy there anti-virus to get rid of all the trojans I had, (which I didn't have BTW) it started as soon as I booted, and covered the whole screen, after 4 days trying I started the lappy in safe mode and found and deleted it, but couldn't get IE to work, I did a system restore but it was no different, except the damm virus was back sigh...so I rolled it forward again...

So I thought if I reset IE8 to it's origonal state everything would be fine, it conects to the internet, but won't do anything else, I am now out of ideas

Joyce

Comment

I think when you do a system restore you have to do it in safe mode or the virus will be back ,this link tells you how

Comment

Working...
                                      X