Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What was happening in Morecambe: late 1921 / early 1922 ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What was happening in Morecambe: late 1921 / early 1922 ?

I was playing around with some side-branches of OH's tree when I realised that I was putting down the same date of death for more than one member of the same family. If you put WHITEHEAD as the family name, and Lancaster as the District, and March 1922 as the Quarter, you find, amongst a few others:
    William J 72 Lancaster 8e-1161
    Constance V 34 Lancaster 8e-1161
    Eliza E 69 Lancaster 8e-1162
    That's father, eldest child, and mother, respectively.

I have done a quick but of googling, but couldn't spot anything to indicate what might have happened. There's nothing that comes up easily in TDA, either. I wondered if anyone had any local knowledge. It's not important to the tree, but must have been important to their family.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

do hope you are going to get the certs Christine as you have got me curious now.

Comment

Christine

The most likely explanation is that they all died of some infectious disease like TB, rather than some mass epidemic - although cholera was still claiming lives in the 1920s. Also influenza was still rife, after the 1919 epidemic.

OC

Comment

I'm afraid I can't possibly justify getting the certs, Val. They're much too remote: I'm close to the realms of name-collecting with these!

Thanks for your thoughts, OC. I must say that 'flu was my first thought. Or some kind of accident. I guess I'll just have to wait until some surprise opens up the info - or accept that I just shan't know.

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Christine only thing I can find is a very bad drought in 1921.

Comment

Thanks for trying, anyway.

Just a pity that the British Library newspaper images that are online don't go into the C20.

Christine

Comment

Might be worth a search: googling comes up with

to see this record in its - Lancashire Record Office: Records Search
              Title, Unknown male, Morecambe, aged 35 years, Inquest file 12 ...... Title, Robert William Whitehead, age14, inquest no.7. Date, 3 May 1923 ...
              archivecat.lancashire.gov.uk/dserve/dserve.exe?&dsqIni...

This record is at:

Probs. not your whitehead but maybe you can find the ones you want?

Comment

Thanks, Bertie - certainly worth a look!

Christine

Comment

Working...
                X