Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Full marks for Birmingham Probate Office

Well done that Office

Sent off on Wednesday for 3 x great granny's will in 1907. It's arrived this morning!!!

Very impressed with the speed & service, think i'm going to have to send off for a few more!
    Jay

That's great! I get the same service from Leicester. I think it's all computerised now.
    Margaret

Comment

thats quick was it worth getting Jay ??

Comment

I used to think getting a cert was the most exciting thing you could get in the post, lol, till I discovered wills!

I think Wills are wonderful. Most of mine have been £3.50, which used to be half the cost of a cetificate and most of my wills had incredibly useful information on them - one listed 35 family members! The only one which was a disappointment, to say the least, was a three line will "I leave everything to Mary Hammond in recognition of her kindness to me". The man left a huge farm and 12 children and uncounted grandchildren......

OC

Comment

It was Val, I had no idea she left one or had anything to leave. I already had her 2nd hubby's will who died the year after her.

It's 3 pages long which came as a suprise. She owned a few houses & two fields, need to work out if these fields are the same ones my dad has a share of now, or if they are the ones his cousin now owns.

I agree with you OC, i've always been pleased with the wills i've received. My only disappointment is that more of my directline didn't leave them.
          Jay

Comment

I'm dying to see the one I have sent for as I have a mysterious letter his Granddaughter left ???

Comment

Hope you get it soon Val!

I'm trying to decide which others I want to send for, i'd like to send for them all, but i'm not that rich lol.
              Jay

Comment

Silly question guys but where do you start if you are trying to find out if any ancestors left a Will?

On my English side most come from London (Stepney and West Ham). For example my great grandfather Solomon Robert Smith died on 7th April 1946 at Ley Street, Ilford in Essex. Would that be soon to try to find a Will and where would I begin?

His father also Solomon Smith died on 6th March 1941 at St Bartholomews Hospital London and was living in Mile End London when he died.

Thanks

Steven

Comment

Ancestry have the index of wills from 1861 to 1841 so you may be lucky with Soloman as for the other one you can ask the Probate Office to search and provide a will for £5 if you give them a date of death.
                  Margaret

Comment

Ancestry have the probate calenders 1861 - 1941 (a few years are missing).

Some records office & libraries have the calenders from 1941 onwards, as well as what is now on Ancestry.

Check out the Wills & Probate section on the reference library

Jay

Comment

Thanks Jay

Steven

Comment

Don't believe everything you read in a will

My father's Great Aunt left a long will in 1895 leaving £8,500 to be split amongst her nieces, but according to my father the solicitor ran off to America with the money.

My maternal Gt Grandfather left his money to his two unmarried daughters and his son,but my mother said that the son ran off with the money.

The most intriguing is one left by my 3x Gt Grandfather Thomas Milward Hall who died in 1867.He had 3 sons but left everything which included 9 houses to his only daughter Sarah Ann Mountford. I have now discovered several documents at TNA (which I hope to see this week) regarding arguements over this will.
                        I have just found a piece in the Times Archive online which I assume gives the outcome but I am a bit confused with the legal jargon.I think it means that the will stands.
                        If anyone with access to the times online can be bothered I would love a second opinion.
                        The article is Mountford v Keene April 22nd 1871

Jan

Comment

All I can find is the court listing for the previous day (April 21st. 1871) in which the case is down for Judgement. I'll carry on looking. (added) There's also a similar listing for the previous day (April 20th.). But I can't find any record of the judgement.
                          Last edited by Uncle John; 12-09-10, 20:39. Reason: further search
                          Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

thank you for taking the trouble.I have just looked again and it is listed for April 21st but when you click on it it comes up as the 22nd.

Jan

Comment

Working...
                            X