IE 8 - delete temporary files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IE 8 - delete temporary files

I am using IE 8 and wish to delete my temporary internet files only. I do not want to risk loosing my passwords or favorites.

IE 7 was easy but I am not very confident with IE 8 - should the boxes be checked to keep the content safe or unchecked.

IE 8 On Tools, delete browsing history appears at top of list and Favorites, Temporary, Cookies and History are all checked the other four unchecked.

Help please
    Last edited by Caroline; 12-09-10, 06:09. Reason: Changed heading to Capitals
    Margaret N
    DOGS HAVE OWNERS ~ CATS HAVE STAFF

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

I have my browsing history unticked after I am finished on the laptop every night I use CCleaner and find it keeps it running smoothly.

Comment

Are you going further than the window which just has the delete browning history? If you click Delete you get another window with different boxes to tick BEFORE you press the final delete.

So it Tools> Delete browsing history > tick boxes > delete those you tick.
      Anne

Comment

Hello Val,
        I have never looked at CCleaner as I get too nervous these days reading all the small print. Often in my language I would say Yes when I should say No on a PC.
        Each time I click on Tools (IE8), Browsing History is at the top with the first four items ticked but I am not certain about these check marks as I want to keep my passwords and favorites safe. I removed the check marks just now but did not action it and when I looked again they were automatically checked.
        Getting fed up with always having to spend so much time tweaking this PC.
        Cheers,
        Margaret N

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

Comment

Margaret I think you will find if you untick or tick boxes you then have to click on apply otherwise it wont change them .
          CCleaner is wonderful as long as you tick the right boxes I dont lose my passwords if you'd like to try it let me know and I will tell you which boxes to tick.

Comment

Val,

Yes, I am going to have a go at CCleaner and have just downloaded it. It is all double dutch to me at the moment so your help would be appreciated. I like to keep my History for a couple of weeks.

Thanks Val.
            Last edited by Margaret N; 12-09-10, 20:19. Reason: Total revision of wording
            Margaret N

Comment

we can do one stage at a time
              This is how I have mine set up
              If you want to dont tick History

when its opened it should be on Windows ???

Under
              WINDOWS
              INTERNET EXPLORER
              Cookies
              Autocomplete Forms
              are UNticked

Under
              WINDOWS EXPLORER
              All boxes are ticked

Under
              SYSTEM

Windows Error
              DNS Cache
              Start Menu
              Desktop Shortcut
              are UNticked

ADVANCED
              all boxes UNticked

Comment

Good Morning Val,

Your notes are excellent thank you I will look at them in fine detail tonight.

See you are up bright and early and almost unheard of for me to switch on at this time of day. Put PC on at 7.0am for a Quickie and still working on it at 9.21. Bring back the Quill Pen!
                Margaret N

Comment

I am never up bright and early Margaret ? that was at 23.05 last night lol I am a night Owl.
                  let me know when you have done this lot .

Comment

Hi Val, I am a night owl as well really this morning was a one off. I have taken a quick look through and this is how my site looks now but I have not pressed 'the button' yet.
                    I have removed 'check' from Cookies, Auto and History as that clears every ten days via windows.
                    Next - Recent Docs I have removed 'check' until I understand what this relates to.
                    System - As you have listed but removed 'check' from Recycle Bin as that is useful if I deleted something in error. I empty that once a week anyway.
                    I took a look at the applications tab and started move things over to save like tt and G plus others but that is too large to deal with easily.
                    I have also looked at analyze and that is scarry.
                    How do you think I am doing, I await the 'My Personal Advisor's' comments.
                    Last edited by Margaret N; 13-09-10, 22:47.
                    Margaret N

Comment

hi sounds okay to me so far, it is of course up to you which ones you untick
                      are you ready for next step ?

this is for the Heading

APPLICATIONS And will depend on which browsers you have ?

FIREFOX/MOZILLA
                      Cookies
                      Saved Forms
                      Compact Database
                      Unticked

OPERA
                      Cookies
                      unticked

GOOGLECHROME
                      Cookies
                      Saved Forms
                      Compact Database
                      Unticked

APPLICATIONS
                      Adobe Reader 9
                      MS Office Picture Manager
                      Office 2007
                      All Ticked

INTERNET
                      Sun Java
                      Windows Live Messenger
                      Yahoo Toolbar
                      All Ticked

MULTIMEDIA
                      Adobe Flash Player
                      Windows Media Player
                      All Ticked

UTILITIES
                      Windows Defender
                      Ticked

WINDOWS
                      MS Paint
                      MS Wordpad
                      Regedit
                      All Ticked

hope you understand this

Comment

Margaret, there is also a useful online tour and guide - http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/help

Don't panic about the ANALYZE button - that just analyses what is there and shows you want it intends to remove, before actually deleting anything.
                        Elaine

Comment

Val and Elaine,

Many thanks for your help. I have had a look at the Tour and it is excellent I am still feeling a little nervous incase I miss a check mark. Maybe I should have a 'Brandy' or black coffee before take off.
                          Margaret N

Comment

I think Margaret if I was you I would just untick Cookies , I actually did my registry yesterday and it found lots of bits left behind by programmes I had deleted ,you get the option to back up before you do it so you can get it back if things go wrong .

Comment

Hello Val,

I have been brave and pressed the button!!!!!! I did not see an option to 'backup regedit' it all just happened and I have got another 5GB on my HD. Just hope I can switch it on again tomorrow.
                              Thank you for your help everyone.
                              Margaret N

Comment

hope its worked for you Margaret no reason why not .
                                You only get the back up option when you click on Registry which is in the left hand side ,then after you scan for issues if you want to fix selected issues you then get the back up option.

Comment

Margaret, this is how I do it.

Open My Computer from the desktop.

Right click on local disk (C).

Left click on Properties.

In the window that opens, make sure the General tab is selected at the top.

Left click on Disk cleanup.

Windows now gives you a list of things that can safely be removed from your computer, including temporary internet files. You can choose which actions you want it to perform but I leave everything in the list ticked.

Left click OK. Windows will ask you if you are sure you want to perform the actions so you have another chance to change your mind. If/when you are sure, click OK and it will remove all the specified files.

I go through this routine every day before I shut my computer down.

Edit: forgot to say, I'm using XP.
                                  Ann
                                  ".... thy memory shall be blest by the children of the children of thy child".
                                  Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Comment

Hello Ann,

Thank you for your help it sounds nice and easy, will take a look at it later.

Always nice to hear from you.
                                    Margaret N

Comment

Working...
                                    X