Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Geography question

Not sure if this is the best place for this question, but here goes,

In the county of Berkshire, how close are Compton, Chieveley and Chaddleworth please.

Thanks
    www.chrisatstjohns.tribalpages.com
    http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/index.php/User:ChrissyConfused-91

It's about 7 miles between Compton and Chieveley and 6 between Chieveley and Chaddleworth, then prob about 7 as the crow flies between Chaddleworth and Compton, so they are all in a reasonable distance of each other. (Distances according to Google maps!)

Linda
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

CHievely 5.3 miles away, Chaddleworth 7.1 miles away according to parish location

Comment

Thanks Linda and Chris
        www.chrisatstjohns.tribalpages.com
        http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/index.php/User:ChrissyConfused-91

Comment

The easiest way to find out is to search for one of the places on Google Maps, then click on Get directions and enter the other place:

That'll tell you the distance between the two, and how long it takes to get there by car or on foot.
          Last edited by Mary from Italy; 10-09-10, 15:16.

Comment

The distances would often be shorter than they appear on Google, as distances tend to be shown by road, whereas our ancestors would have used tracks and paths which would often be more direct.

Comment

The most useful book I ever got for family tree research is the Ordnance Survey Road Atlas of Great Britain 1983. Useless if I visit England. Not only is it heavy hardcover but way out of date. My housebound MIL bought it for me from a remainder book catalogue in the early 90s. If you see one in a thrift shop buy it. I find it easier than google maps I refer to it constantly to see where the villages are and I'm not looking forward to the day I wear out page 34/35 --- the page with Reading, Basingstoke, Swindon.
              Donelda

searching for the Berkshire Hobbises, Rowles, Staniford, Rogers, Parkers, Thackhams, Gouts, LeBouviers, Heaphys and Wilsons

Comment

I agree with you Nelde. I have one from 1988 and used it a lot. Easier to see the "bigger picture" than looking at Google maps on the screen.
                Jenny

Comment

I've got the OS Atlas of GB 1983 (bought it new when I belonged to a book club!).
                  Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

I use www.mapquest.co.uk and then click on directions....allan
                    Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
                    oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
                    adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
                    merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
                    coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

Working...
                    X