birth in Rawalpindi in 1931

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• birth in Rawalpindi in 1931

Anyone know where I can find any details of births in Rawalpindi?
    I have been given the GRO reference as I the child's father was British.
    I was wondering if there's any records anywhere that have the details that are FREE before I go ahead and pay the dreaded £9.25.....

FYI name removed, b.1931
    father's name I believe is William L......... and I think he was in the army

Cheers
    Lisa
    Last edited by Elaine ..Spain; 09-09-10, 16:29. Reason: possible living person mentioned

Sorry Lisa, had to remove the name as it refers to a possible living person. If you know the person has died them please edit your post and reenter the name again.

The GRO reference would probably have come from the Overseas BMD index - so I think you will probably have to fork out for a proper certificate.

Might be worth checking the Family Search Record site as I know there are some Indian records there, but not sure if they go up to the 1930s.
    Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.
    Elaine

Comment

Lisa have you had a look in our Reference Library? we do have a section on India, click on the link below:

Julie
      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

I suspect you may have to fork out for a cert if the birth was 1931.
        Rawalpindi was indeed an army posting - an ancestor of my friend was based there in the 1890's and we managed to find out about an offspring's birth by using the father's army record. Don't think you can do that for a 1931 event though.

Jay
        Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Anyone know where I can find any details of births in Rawalpindi?
          I have been given the GRO reference as I the child's father was British.
          I was wondering if there's any records anywhere that have the details that are FREE before I go ahead and pay the dreaded £9.25.....
          Joyce Aimee Langston b.1931 (she died in 1981)
          father's name I believe is William Langston and I think he was in the army

(Thanks Elaine! I didn't think about mentioning that she'd died!)

Comment

This is the India Births and Baptisms up to 1947 and she is not showing up.
            This site can sometimes be a bit picky when you put in too much info so it is best to put as little as possible and have more to check through.
            Just the surname brings up 6 pages of the name and variants but she is not there but there is a
            Florence Nightingale married to a Langston, 'The' Florence Nightingale did not marry though.

It is rare to see names up to a date this late 1947 as they have the 100 year rule so I think the title of the records is just that, a title.

Edna

Comment

Ther could be something in the India Office records at the British Library. They go up to Independence, so 1931 should be included. I can't see it being picked up on the online database at the moment.

I have a reader's ticket and do get there occasionally, but won't be there or at least a month, now.

Christine
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Do they have wills for people who died in India 1916 in the British Library.....i have had BMD certs from them before but, i was wandering about the wills.....
                Jacky

Comment

Name and address of deceased, names of beneficiaries, sometimes addresses of relatives, details of bequests, names of executors.
                  Between c1704 and c1780 wills were recorded in court proceedings (Records class P): Bengal Public Proceedings, 1704-1727; Bengal Mayor's Court Proceedings 1727-1774 and Supreme Court Proceedings 1774-1779; Madras Mayor's Court Proceedings up to 1780; and Bombay Mayor's Court Proceedings up to 1783.
                  A single volume records wills from 1618 to 1725:G/40/23.
                  From 1780 to 1948 wills were recorded in a separate sequence for ease of reference: L/AG/34/29 series.
                  A photocopy of an alphabetical list of wills to 1783 ( Z/L/AG/34/1, formerly H/792) is on the Asian & African Studies reading room shelves.
                  For indexes from c1780 to 1909 use the photocopies of Z/L/AG/34/4-10 on the Reading Room shelves.
                  For wills from 1909 onwards, consult the general card index of wills, or the typescript version (in progress), in the Reading Room.
                  FYI
                  Christine
                  Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Oooh, thanks Christine, i will email them to see if they have my GGrandfathers - hope so. I hope to gather where his sons went to live.
                    Jacky

Comment

Hope you don't mind me bringing this thread up again Lisa.

I emailed the British Library about a will for my GGrandfather, sadly they don't have one but.......they are kindly going to send me his Burial Registration .....Ooh, i wonder what it will have on it!

What a kind gesture from them - i'm chuffed!!
                      Jacky

Comment

That's great Tilly!
                        Still no joy on finding the birth record for Joyce for free, so I think I'm going have to spend that £9.25 - it hurts so much more than £7!

Comment

Well i hope you gather lots of info from it, Lisa - Good Luck
                          Jacky

Comment

Working...
                          X