Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inquest held 22nd July 1916, C. Luxmoore Drew, Coroner for London

In the column of informant in a death certificate is:

Certificate received from C. Luxmoore Drew, Coroner for London. Inquest held 22nd July 1916.

I have sent an email to the LMA to ask if a copy of the inquest has survived.

In the meantime, I am wondering which newspaper might have a report on it. The accident happened at the British Caudron Company's premises in Cricklewood.
    Would anyone know, please? Thanks.
    Last edited by Joy Dean; 09-09-10, 16:27.
    Joy

have a look here Joy,

seems there are others with the same problem

Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Thank you, Julie. Yes, I have just seen that.

I wonder if it was reported in a newspaper and, if so, which one. I would be surprised if it wasn't as it happened on the premises of a big company.
      Joy

Comment

might there be something in the Times Joy?
        Julie

Comment

Ah, The Times, thank you, Julie
          Back later.
          Joy

Comment

I thought I had the newspaper site saved in favourites but seem to have mislaid it :(

Forget that - just remembered that I use my library card through my local library site!
            Last edited by Joy Dean; 09-09-10, 19:23.
            Joy

Comment

Hope you find something
              Julie

Comment

Thank you.
                Couldn't find anything.

Perhaps it was, hopefully, reported in a local newspaper.
                Joy

Comment

Any luck with Google? It's surprising what it picks up.
                  Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Thank you.
                    Not yet, but am still searching with Google, and have discovered more about the British Caudron Co - for instance http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/wiki/British_Caudron_Co.

I have sent an email to Herts Direct <herts.direct@hertscc.gov.uk> to see if they can help.
                    Joy

Comment

Have you tried the Colindale Newspaper site for possible papers fo an area. There was a time when you could serach and find out which paper you wanted for specific areas but with their pending move, I am not sure if this facility is available any longer. If not maybe you can fire off an e mail to them.

PS Just keyed in Cricklewood into keyword and a whole host of newspapers came up for that area. Maybe just a question of trawling through and eliminating those later than your date etc

Janet
                      Last edited by Janet; 11-09-10, 16:24.

Comment

Originally posted by Janet View Post
                        Have you tried the Colindale Newspaper site for possible papers fo an area. There was a time when you could serach and find out which paper you wanted for specific areas but with their pending move, I am not sure if this facility is available any longer. If not maybe you can fire off an e mail to them.

PS Just keyed in Cricklewood into keyword and a whole host of newspapers came up for that area. Maybe just a question of trawling through and eliminating those later than your date etc

Janet
                        Thank you. I shall have a look.
                        I am trying to cover all areas before giving up and have written to this paper, too http://www.times-series.co.uk/archiv...09/10/Letters/
                        Joy

Comment

It has been found in the Kilburn Times
                          Joy

Comment

Well done. Does it help???

Comment

Well done Joy!
                              Jay

Comment

Thank you.
                                I shall find out tomorrow, hopefully, when a copy arrives in the post from the kind staff at Brent Archives. I am very excited

Barnet Archives is closed until November and I am hoping that its staff will make a search for me then to see if it is in a newspaper near his home.
                                Joy

Comment

Poor great-great-uncle.

This is from the newspaper article:

met with a fatal accident at some sheds in Cricklewood on Wednesday, and died afterwards in St. Mary's Hospital. The evidence showed that the deceased was employed by Messrs. Lavington, builders, and was working on a scaffolding 27 feet high. He was taking a plank from the hands of another workman when, by some means, the pole broke and he and the board fell to the ground. He was much injured. He was removed to St. Mary's Hospital, where death occurred the same day. Deceased erected the scaffolding himself. Dr Fuller, of the hospital, attributed death to the injuries. A verdict of "Accidental death" was returned.
                                  Joy

Comment

In those days scaffolding would be wooden, not steel poles. And goodness knows how the poles were joined together, probably rope. When on holiday in Germany I've seen wooden scaffolding which looks a bit insecure but I presume it's safe to use.

Comment

Thank you, Uncle John.

Poor great-great-uncle. I am just trying to imagine the wooden scaffolding, being 27 feet up. The poor man, his injuries must have been horrific. On the certificate, the cause of his death was haemorrhage and shock following fracture of the skull caused by a fall from a scaffold. More than one thing has occurred to me - one, thank goodness that although not instant, at least he did not suffer for a long time from his injuries and, another, I am glad that he was described as a labourer and not an Irish navvy.

Now I would like to find out about Messrs. Lavington, builders - but haven't yet found anything about them.
                                      Last edited by Joy Dean; 21-09-10, 21:06.
                                      Joy

Comment

Working...
                                      X