scottish wills

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• scottish wills

I found on Ancestry what I assumed would be a will/probate for one of my scottish ancestors but when I view it it's

"confirmation of the commisariat of the county of Edinburgh dated 18/6/1883 of Ellen Marion Kerr or Paul the widow..... accepting executor nominate of Gavin Paul....."

Does this mean there is a will or not?

Also any idea why Ellen's maiden name is given as well?

Hoping someone knows about scottish wills!!

Thanks for looking

Liz
    my avatar is Emily Varndell Andrews,my paternal grandmother born 1891

Maiden names are often used in Scotland. My granny died recently and her tombstone will only mention her maiden name - it's quite normal!
    Don't know what it means with regard to whether there's a will or not, though.
    Kind regards,
    William
    Particular interests: The Cumming families of Edinkillie & Dallas, Moray

Comment

Thanks William

I did wonder if it was similar to France and Belgium where a woman although married never loses her maiden name. When my mother in law's belgian relatives write to me they give me a double barrelled surname with my maiden name after my married name!! I'm told that on tombstones a woman only has her maiden surname and wife of whoever so she gets her birth surname back! Sounds like the scottish system is similar.
      Liz

Comment

That's fascinating - I wonder if it might go back to the days when Scotland and France had the 'Auld Alliance' against the common enemy and French was also the language of the Scottish royal court?
        Kind regards,
        William
        Particular interests: The Cumming families of Edinkillie & Dallas, Moray

Comment

I found a National Probate Register entry for a female, REID or RODDICK, where her maiden name was Reid. The interesting thing was that she died in Scotland and as far as I know it was a Scottish Will and the son who was her executor also lived in Scotland. The entry says Confirmation of (son's name). Sealed London 18 December [1920]. There are several other similar entries on the same page, all for Scottish residents.
          Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

so does that mean there is a will and I could apply for it on the same form as an english will ?

Liz

Comment

Taken from Scotlandspeople - you can download the will from the site for a smallish fee.

2 PAUL GAVIN 18/06/1883 COALMASTER, WILSONTON, MOSSIDE AND EDINBURGH, RESIDING IN EDINBURGH, D. 05/04/1883 AT EDINBURGH, TESTATE WILL EDINBURGH SHERIFF COURT WILLS SC70/4/201
              Cath.

Comment

wow Cath thanks for that !

Liz

Comment

Originally posted by Cath RJ View Post
                  you can download the will from the site for a smallish fee.
                  Five pounds, to be precise. If you do the free lookup that Cath did, it will also tell you how many pages in the will. You then select it for download and pay your five pounds.

Comment

Thanks uncle john

Five pounds is the same fee as the english will I ordered and hopefully the will may clear up a mystery about one of Gavin's sons !!

Liz

Comment

If it's similar to the ones I've downloaded, it may be on paper with a bluish tinge, which makes it a tad harder to read.

Comment

I've just been battling through a Scottish will from 1852 where all females were mentioned both under maiden and married names. There will likely be an Inventory lodged at the same time as the will, which will give specifics about moveable and heritable assets. This will cost a further 5 pounds to download.

I have also had a case where the deceased was intestate, so no will to view, but there was still an Inventory lodged for probate.

Beverley

Comment

Working...
                        X