Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

frustrated.....have I hit the brickwall!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• frustrated.....have I hit the brickwall!!

Hi everyone, sorry its me again about the blessed Golt's. I've managed to get some info but nothing seems to come up on Ancestry.co.uk/com, FreeBMD, or Gibraltar genealogy!!

My husband's parents were married in Paddington but unfortunately the marriage certificate and bridal party did not include any parents. However, we did find in family papers a copy of the marriage certificate of FiL's parents and found that we had the spelling of their names right:

Horacio Golt age 21 (parents Alex (pos short for Alexander?) an Mary Ann Nicholl) and Eloisa Olivero age 19 (parents Lawrence Olivero and Antonia ??)on 14th May 1901 at St Mary the Crowned Gibraltar. Witnesses John B Golt and Dorlores Golt.

As I say I can't seem to find any of these people!! Any help or suggestions would be gratefully received.

Also Antonia's surname is illegible on the certificate it could be Marife or Uarife??? Tried googling name and checked the Gib telephone directory but couldn't find names that might look like this, so any ideas on what the name might be would be fantastic.

kind regards Ali

Could this be one of yours?

Horacio Golt on Asturia ship from Australia to Southampton. He boarded at Gibraltar. This was 1948 and he was born 1916.

Could he be one of the sons
    Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

There is also a Mr E Golt and Mrs M Golt arriving in 1935 last residence Gibrator. He is down as Mr H on ancestry. They are on two seperate pages, one at the bottom and Mrs M at the top of the next page. Hope you have ancestry.
      Lin

Comment

The name Nicholl sounds Scottish to me so I would look on Scotlandspeople for likely records.

Comment

Hi Lin, thanks for your info, I not sure if the Horacio you found is related but will look into it, I haven't found him in America, which site did you find him on? As for Mr E and Mrs M they might well be related, Golt is common name on Gibraltar, although we only know one cousin there. Again thanks for you help, I think I will have to look at going to Gib records office, can't ask cousin as she is old and beridden. Ali

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
            The name Nicholl sounds Scottish to me so I would look on Scotlandspeople for likely records.
            Hi Margaret, funnily enough I thought Nicholls might be scottish alongside her marrying an Alex?? however, so far nothing came up on Ancestry Scotland when I did a worldwide search, can you advise how I can specify just getting scottish results?

many thanks again for your help. Ali

Comment

to research scottish ancestors you will need :http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk
              it is credit based, and costs one credit to do a search, and 5 credits for an image. they have births, deaths, and marriages from civil registration in 1855 until 1910 on the site. you can download the certs as soon as you look at them. the parish records vary in everything. some start in the 16th century, most around 1830. some will have enormous amounts of info, and some will just record the date and place, and names of the people concerned.

Comment

Hi

I found the passenger lists on Ancestry and the ship started from America but I think he boarded in Gibraltar. Haven't got time to look it all up again now. If you have ancestry have a look on Passenger lists as there were a few Golts born Gibraltar but it might just be a common name there.

If you need the images PM me with your e-mail address
                Lin

Comment

Working...
                X