X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unusual Marriage Cert entry??

Wonder how unusual this is ??

Emily Bowers and Alfred Weston
    False address noted ,and note by Bride saying Grandmother present both Parents dead
    and by Groom Father present.

I've seen ones with some extensive corrections done at a later date but "false address" is very strange. I wonder that it could be legal? Whoever filled in the certificate (parish record) obviously knew at the time that the address was false. Also I've not seen notes about who was present before - presumably its because the bride and groom are minors.

Anne

Comment

Interesting.......even more so as I know the Streets where everyone on the pages lived, and the church. It was a dead dodgy area at that time. Are they yours? Got a photo of the church if they are! took it to add to the POW project, but can't work out how to put it on there!
      Sue x

Looking for Hanmores in Kent, Blakers in Essex and Kent, Pickards in East London and Raisons in Somerset.

Comment

Originally posted by Sue at the seaside View Post
        Got a photo of the church if they are! took it to add to the POW project, but can't work out how to put it on there!
        Sue - send it to me by email at admin@familytreeforum.com and I'll add it to the POW pages.
        Elaine

Comment

could be Anne?
          yes Sue they are mine be interested in what you know ??? thanks

Comment

I used to live about 1/4 mile from this area! Crozier Terrace was demollished I think pre WWII, but could be wrong with my dates there, It was replaced by a small housing estate Nisbet House, just across the High St from St Barnabas Church. The only bit of Crozier Terrace that I think remains is the pub on the corner, It;'s been called The Jackdaw and stump for a while, I just can't remember what it was before! If you look at the area on Booths Poverty map, Crozier is a Dark blue "Very poor, casual. Chronic want." The other roads mentioned on the same page are the other side of the High St, behind and at the side of the church, they are marked black! "Lowest class. Vicious, semi-criminal".that's were I have people living!!!! Just a few streets from the church is where the "new" Homerton Hospital has been built. The old buildings had several incarnations, I remember it as the "Fever Hospital" but in 1880/90s it was the Smallpox Hospital. Just 2 streets away from the Church.
            If you look on a map of the area Crozier Terrace is at the side of the old Hackney Hospital, formerly the workhouse, I had another branch of the family that lived just beyond the workhouse where they ran a Dairy! 2 branches of the family, 2 totally different lives!
            Sue x

Looking for Hanmores in Kent, Blakers in Essex and Kent, Pickards in East London and Raisons in Somerset.

Comment

thanks for that Sue a lot of mine came from the East End of London and had it real rough.

Comment

Working...
              X